Subjects with Pen and Ink: Master Pen and Ink Drawing
About this Course
In this course, we take a look at drawing 31 different subjects with pen and ink. Each series within the course features a different overarching subject with several different approaches and methods for applying pen and ink. Subjects covered include still life objects, flowers, food, animals, landscapes, and people all while covering a variety of pen and ink methods including hatching, cross hatching, stippling, ink wash and more. This course is truly a master-class on the medium of pen and ink.
What You'll Learn:
- The basic materials, tools, and surfaces for working with pen and ink.
- Application techniques including hatching, cross hatching, scribbling, stippling, and ink wash.
- How to draw any subject with basic shapes to ensure accuracy.
- How to adjust line quality to create the illusion of form.
- How to apply ink with technical drawing pens and nib pens.
- How to apply ink with a brush in order to create a variety of different values.
- How to draw still life objects with pen and ink.
- How to create different textures with pen and ink.
- How to draw a variety of different foods with pen and ink.
- How to draw a variety of animals with pen and ink.
- How to draw a variety of landscape elements with pen and ink.
- How to draw a portrait with pen and ink.
- How to draw the figure with pen and ink.
- How to combine ink wash with traditional pen and ink techniques.
- How to create the illusion of form and light by manipulating line.
What Students Say
"Matt, I have thoroughly enjoyed drawn along with you. My drawing skill has improved immensely, thank you. Looking forward to more." -Marja
"Matt, thank you for doing this series. I just became a member at the end of August and knew very little about drawing or paper or mediums. It is remarkable how much you taught me throughout this series. My ability to draw has improved rapidly from your comments as you drew and the incredible variety of items we drew. Comparing the drawings from first to last really lets me see how much you have taught me. Not only have I learned a lot about drawing, I’ve learned lessons on including value, proper shading, and creating texture. I also developed the habit of drawing every day. Interestingly, I had no interest in pen and ink when I became a member a couple months ago but thought I would give this course a whirl. I am so glad I did. Not sure which course I will take next, but I know it will be outstanding. Thanks again Matt." -Jeff
"I loved every minute of this working on this course and also the visible improvement in my technique as I progressed through every lesson." -Barbara