TheVirtualInstructor.com Forum

How to store soft pastel drawings?

Kelley

• +2/-0
    • View Profile
How to store soft pastel drawings?
« on: January 25, 2014, 12:35:28 PM »
Hi Matt, as I continue exploring this medium, how do I store my soft pastel drawings? I have a portfolio in which to place them but fear smudging the work. I can frame only a few drawings at a time. I've read differing opinions on whether to leave the soft pastel drawings in their raw form or spraying with a fixative and really do not know what the definitive answer is. I only know I need to store them somehow! Thanks for your help!  ???

• Matt
  • +14/-1
  • I draw.
    • View Profile
    • TheVirtualInstructor.com
Re: How to store soft pastel drawings?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2014, 01:10:16 AM »
Hi Kelley,

In my opinion, the best thing to do is to mat them and store them with a cover sheet.  Fixative is great.  I use it on many of my own drawings - however, it can make the values in the drawing darker.  And if you get a spray can with a faulty nozzle, you could get splatters.  Just be sure to test the spray ahead of time.  If you can't mat the work, a cover sheet will do the trick until you can mat the work.  If you have the space, a flat drawer is great for keeping the work clean and safe. 

Kelley

• +2/-0
    • View Profile
Re: How to store soft pastel drawings?
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 08:37:17 PM »
Matt, I don't really know what you mean by a cover sheet. What type of paper should this cover sheet be and how would I afix it to the painting. The only place I have to store them is in a portfolio...the kind with plastic sleeves. Thank you, in advance, for clarification. Lastly, I keep reading about hairspray. Is that a huge no-no?