TheVirtualInstructor.com Forum

Help for Beginner Please

ramari

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
Help for Beginner Please
« on: January 23, 2014, 02:03:06 AM »
Hi There Everyone,
My name is Ramari and I am from New Zealand, I am a "Newbie" both to this site and painting, but would like to Thank Matt for creating it.   I have never had any art instruction at all, not even at school so would like some help please.  Could you please critique my paintings.  The multicolored one is called a Manaia and his colors are suppose to resemble the New Zealand paua.  The white and black painting I call 'Whanau' meaning Family. 
Thank you all very much this is much appreciated.

Ladyeight29

• +1/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Help for Beginner Please
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 02:30:05 PM »
Hi I'm new to the art thing I don't paint I like graphite and am working my way to colored pencils. But I think your paintings are very unique and interesting to look at. I like them very much. The uniqueness (is that a word?) is what I like the most. They tell a lot about who you are. Replies around here are few and far between. But good luck and stay with your one of a kind style.
 ;)

ramari

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 03:08:20 PM »
Thank you Ladyeight29, your comments are much appreciated :D.  I think your drawings are fantastic too!!
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 03:10:00 PM by ramari »

• Matt
  • +15/-1
  • I draw.
    • View Profile
    • TheVirtualInstructor.com
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2014, 01:39:51 AM »
Wow!  Love them.  Great use of positive and negative space.  There are many colors on the top piece but the shape really unifies things.  The bottom work is graphically strong.  I especially like the play between the blacks and whites in the lower portion of the work. 

ramari

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2014, 03:15:49 AM »
Thank you so much Matt, that is much appreciated and now I can't wait to start the next one.   :D

Kelley

• +2/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2014, 11:29:37 AM »
I'm a newbie too, so nothing to say except that they are beautiful.  :)

ramari

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2014, 10:13:13 PM »
Thank you so much Kelley  :)

Mrs Doodler

• +7/-0
  • student artist studying Matt's video courses :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2015, 05:07:55 PM »
They are so beautiful and unique, great job!!!!

kanga4336

• +7/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2015, 02:36:43 AM »
I love that you have been inspired by Maori heritage to draw these two pieces.  The complimentary colours in your first picture are so striking, and do resemble the New Zealand paua (sea snail).  The black and white composition is lovely, it's got that ying and yang feel about it.  Thanks for sharing your art work.