TheVirtualInstructor.com Forum

Need Help with Water...

Shaun1978

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
Need Help with Water...
« on: December 06, 2013, 07:40:23 PM »
I've been drawing now for a little over a month, but thanks to Matt and theVirtualInstructor.com I've been able to apply some basic fundamentals and can actually recognize what I'm trying to draw.  I would eventually like to progress to realistic portrait and landscape drawings in any medium.  One of the things I've been having a hard time with lately is water.  I will attach my latest attempts and would greatly appreciate any tips, pointers, and/or advice.  What am I missing here? 

• Matt
  • +15/-1
  • I draw.
    • View Profile
    • TheVirtualInstructor.com
Re: Need Help with Water...
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2013, 01:15:56 AM »
Hi Shawn,

Thanks for sharing!  You have got great contrast in both of the images.  The reflections in the first image are very well done.  Without seeing the reference, I feel like the water in the first image may need some areas of darker value.  Maybe some darker grays closer to the shoreline.  Again the reflections here are really nice.  The second image has definitely got the darker values.  In the second image, I think it may be the ripples that are causing the issue.  They should angle back around the swan at a more severe angle.  Right now they curve back over a little too gradually which is making the angle of the viewer a little awkward.  I think that's it.  Both are drawings are impressive!

Shaun1978

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Need Help with Water...
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2013, 03:42:07 AM »
Thanks Matt, I appreciate the feedback. I see what you're saying with the swan drawing. I made another attempt with a different photo reference and made the same mistake I think. I will post it when I have a chance as well as future efforts. I'll keep trying until I get it.

I attached a picture of the scene I drew, although I drew it while I was there for the most part. I didn't realize it until I looked at the picture but there wasn't any rope on the one post... My brain decided there should have been I guess.