Re: Lilly
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2012, 03:50:05 PM »
I agree! great work :)

Frisby

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2012, 09:17:41 PM »
Nice composition with the background.  And shading too.  I always get a little scribbly when I shade large areas.

janette

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2012, 12:22:12 PM »
this is lovely.
Janette

Lilith1979

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2012, 05:10:57 PM »
wow i wish i could be that great in drawing!!!!

bob1298

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2012, 04:07:53 PM »
Hi Matt, just a couple of things. When I posted the "Lilly" I posted it as an attachment. I am not sure that was the way to do it. Some sites you can post directly to the board. If you could comment on that I would appreciate it. Also, I did go to your web site and it was well worth the trip. What was most impresive was your use of "negative drawing" This is an area of struggle for me and I am sure others. Wonder if we could get more insite on this subject....Bob

• Matt
  • +14/-1
  • I draw.
    • View Profile
    • TheVirtualInstructor.com
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2012, 08:08:47 PM »
Hey Bob,

I'm working on making the image posting better.  Once I've got it sorted, I'll make a little tutorial.  Thanks for checking out the main site!

gabby1546

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2012, 03:00:16 AM »
How did you make it look so smooth with a mechanical pencil?

bob1298

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2012, 01:04:58 PM »
How did you make it look so smooth with a mechanical pencil?
Hi Gabby, first is paper choice, I have found that "Cranson Foundation Bristol Smooth" works the best for me. Not only does it have the smooth surface that I am looking for but it will take pressure and graphite build up very well. For the background I started with my 4B & heavy pressure and a very, very tight circular stroke. It is also important to keep rotating your pencil, this helps to keep a sharp point putting as much graphite in the tooth of the paper as possible. When this is done you will still notice some white of the paper showing through. Now comes the 2B sharpened to a chisel point. Now I am going to go over the whole drawing again using those "very, very tight little circles. Any white that still shows through (and there will be some) turn your pencil to the sharp point of the chisel to force graphite down into the tooth. The petals are done with a feathered stroke on both ends to avoid overlap. Light is lifted out with "Blu Tack". This drawing is 5"W by 5.5"H. Total time start to finish was over 25 hours. Please understand if you are looking for instant gratification in your drawing this is not it. But I would rather spend the time doing the best that I can with one good drawing than end up with 10 mediocre ones. I hope this helps...Bob

freda

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2012, 08:24:39 AM »
Fabulous, You are very gifted.