TheVirtualInstructor.com Forum

First pastels

Fasanro

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
First pastels
« on: November 11, 2013, 01:35:50 AM »
I am drawing since i was a kid but this are my first lessons. Now i am drawing almost every day and knowing the steps to get what i want. The pastels is what i like the most, but i don't know how to select the paper. I am using white sketch paper. This is make from  a photo when the ocean wave hits the returning wave.

I am trying to do my best in english, excuse all the mistakes.

• Matt
  • +15/-1
  • I draw.
    • View Profile
    • TheVirtualInstructor.com
Re: First pastels
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2013, 02:08:03 PM »
Hi Fasaro!

Wow, that's excellent work!  I think that it is difficult to produce the range of values working on white paper, so extra "kudos" to you.  My suggestion would be use some pastel paper, which comes in a variety of tones and colors.  I would try to find a nice midtone or middle value color to work on.  I prefer grays, but every one is different and warm and cool tones are available too.  Working from a midtone helps to push the values outward, and create immediate contrast.   Canson Mi-Teintes papers come in pads that have a variety of different tones and colors to experiment with.  Canson Mi-Teintes paper has a deeper or more rigid tooth (texture) than some of the other papers available.   A stronger "tooth" allows for more pastel to be layered.  Strathmore makes good quality pastel papers as well.  The tooth is a bit smoother making blending a bit easier.  Pastels can be applied to many different surfaces including sandpaper.  So, the best advice would be to experiment and find what works best for you.     

Fasanro

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: First pastels
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2013, 09:32:20 PM »
Thanks a lot, thats what i need, a guide. I always do the pastels of the videos next i search for photos of the same category to keep the practice. Thanks again.