TheVirtualInstructor.com Forum

watercolour

freda

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
watercolour
« on: July 26, 2012, 06:49:49 AM »
I would like to loosen up with watercolours. My work is very tight sort of realistic. Any advice or thoughts for me.

• Matt
  • +14/-1
  • I draw.
    • View Profile
    • TheVirtualInstructor.com
Re: watercolour
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2012, 11:37:27 AM »
Hold your brush in different ways.  Another thing you could do is work on larger sheets of paper.  This will make you use your whole shoulder to paint, instead of just your wrist.  When you do this, you will naturally loosen up.

freda

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 08:30:34 AM »
Thankyou,I'll give it a go and see how I fare.I will let you know how I get on and may even display it good or bad.

queenmarcia

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2013, 10:20:15 PM »
hi freda..been a while and almost 700 views to your post with no replies, so you are probably pretty experienced and had plenty of time to loosen up at this point.  but anyway, here is my thought.  i just started on watercolors taking a class at a local gallery.  my finished paintings were  never really what i wanted, so i just kept doing the same painting over and over changing the colors and after about the fourth time, i became more loose ..giving myself permission to make crazy changes in her picture and feeling much more capable of choosing colors and just not being afraid or unsure any more.  so it think doing the same picture over and over really helps loosen you up. hope you get this or someone tries my idea and benefits. 

• Matt
  • +14/-1
  • I draw.
    • View Profile
    • TheVirtualInstructor.com
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2013, 12:18:52 AM »
Excellent suggestion, Marcia.

shari1948

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2014, 10:18:24 PM »
You also might try a non dominate hand. That helps because you are not use to using your left hand if you are right handed.

Shari 8)