TheVirtualInstructor.com Forum

Preventing smearing

Treehouse

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
Preventing smearing
« on: May 20, 2015, 02:52:47 PM »
I'm curious what others use to prevent smearing of graphite under your drawing hand.  I find that paper towels do not work very well, especially on a smooth surface like bristol.  Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

dmseberg

• +5/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Preventing smearing
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2015, 08:44:18 PM »
What I like to use are disposable food handlers gloves.  I cut out the fingers leaving the rest of your hand covered.  I like this method because you won't need to move the paper towel or piece of paper whenever you adjust your drawing.  Use the smallest size that will accommodate your hand.

They are very inexpensive.  If you ask nicely, your local grocery store meat/deli department will probably give you a few for free.

Treehouse

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2015, 01:21:29 PM »
Great idea ... I will give this a try. Thanks for the suggestion!

Daniel Y

• +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2017, 05:11:26 PM »
I would not think that paper towels would be a good choice. given that they are manufactured for the purpose of picking up dirt. consider graphite of your drawing dirt to a paper towel. a smooth textured paper would be a better selection as a protective matt for your hand to rest on. In extreme situations they have workable fixative that may be required as your drawing progresses. I use copier paper but in larger drawing may use something as smooth as marker paper. You could resort to an outright plastic sheet piece of glass etc. They make a drawing glove intended for this purpose. I don't see them often and don't think they took off very well. Might be a clue as to avoid them but they are one other solution.

Anna

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2017, 02:41:05 AM »
I'm curious what others use to prevent smearing of graphite under your drawing hand.  I find that paper towels do not work very well, especially on a smooth surface like bristol.  Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

P55

• +14/-0
  • Linda
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2017, 02:42:51 PM »
I have not tried this but would like to. There is a paper called Glassine that is used to put between pastel drawings for storage. I suspect this material might be a good choice to cover portions of your artwork while drawing instead of a paper towel. You also might try Baking Sheets -  Baking Parchment, which may be right at your local supermarket. Again I haven't tried this yet. If you try either of these would you please post back and give your review? If you find something better please  post also. That would be great, thanks!