TheVirtualInstructor.com Forum

writing on graphite portrait

wandasway

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
writing on graphite portrait
« on: May 01, 2015, 06:14:30 AM »
I'm working on a difficult portrait that eventually will be done in oil pastels.  To be on the safe side I wanted to do a graphite drawing first to make sure I get the details correct.  It's a personal, emotional piece and I wanted to write 4 lines from a song in the lower right hand corner of the picture.  I don't know the best way to do that...I tried a couple of things and the only thing that worked was writing with white oil pastel on graphite background...but it is far from ideal.  I was thinking of just painting the letters.  I would appreciate any ideas and time you have to offer.  Thanks...Wandasway

Alan Green

• +23/-2
    • View Profile
    • Rollmop Music
Re: writing on graphite portrait
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2015, 06:59:45 AM »
I would have though acrylic or oil paints on a very small brush would have been a more visible and legible option.

Whatever you use, don't forget to license the song lyrics before you start. You don't want to be sued for copyright theft later.

wandasway

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2015, 12:25:15 PM »
Thank you, Alan!  That's just about what I figured.  Since the graphite piece is really only a practice piece before doing it in oil pastel...I will get rid of what I had done as best as I can and gesso over that to start fresh, then use the paints.  I knew I probably had to look into licensing for the lyrics but am not quite sure what to do.  I don't know if you have any suggestions.  Thanks again.

Alan Green

• +23/-2
    • View Profile
    • Rollmop Music
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2015, 05:49:38 PM »
Over here, you talk to the PRS/MCPS. In the US I believe you talk to RIAA. They should have standard forms and a fairly simple fee structure.

wandasway

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2015, 07:42:02 PM »
Thanks again...I really appreciate your help!