TheVirtualInstructor.com Forum

How do you get ideas for a new painting?

• Matt
  • +15/-1
  • I draw.
    • View Profile
    • TheVirtualInstructor.com
How do you get ideas for a new painting?
« on: July 25, 2012, 01:30:12 AM »
Where does your inspiration come from?  Where do you get ideas for a new a painting?  Share below...

Frisby

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: How do you get ideas for a new painting?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2012, 09:22:39 PM »
I don't paint a lot, but music is my main inspiration in all the art I do.  I also write fiction, so sometime I feel inspired to illustrate the things I'm writing about.  Paint swatches at the hardware store get me pretty excited too, haha.

Daniel

• +0/-0
  • i do pencil drawings for the most part (:
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2012, 09:27:12 PM »
Im usually inspired by people like MC Escher, Keith Haring, Dondi White, Dali and some forms of abstract art. My ultimate goal is to create some kind of a mix between the abstract world and Eschers dimentional drawings :) i am also a fan of graffiti and street art. I wonder where this is going, haha. Btw you should check out BLU, he is a fenomenal street artist.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 09:30:04 PM by Daniel »

• Matt
  • +15/-1
  • I draw.
    • View Profile
    • TheVirtualInstructor.com
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2012, 02:17:56 AM »
Yeah BLU is pretty cool.  I use a couple the  BLU movies to help inspire my animation students when we make stop motion movies. 

katya

• +5/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2014, 03:38:51 AM »
just start painting. things will come.

dj1304

• +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2014, 09:37:37 PM »
I've done a fair bit of photography (as a hobby) along with trying to learn to paint along the way so I will go back and look at any pictures I've taken (or family members have taken).  I can usually find something interesting to draw or paint.  I love painting landscapes (and drawing people) so, I always try to have a camera with me (even if its just my phone camera).  If I know I will really want to shoot something I take along my Nikon.  One of these days, I will actually try to paint on location...but that's a ways off yet.

Alan Green

• +23/-2
    • View Profile
    • Rollmop Music
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2014, 08:19:48 AM »
I can usually find something to work on wherever I am. I think it's one of those "Don't over-think it" moments.

IustinLhom

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
How do you get ideas for a new pain
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2015, 12:35:34 PM »
Of course there are. Either try to find some kind of workshop, or visit a hardware store. You can get one-inch drill bits.

Raybrite

• +12/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2015, 12:34:50 PM »
 I go look at the old lessons from Matt.
 Really, I look for photos on the Internet and just look around. I sat outside and painted the scene that I saw in front of me. It was the house across the path, a few trees and some people playing cards at a table.
 I also decided that I wanted to paint a seashore in Acrylics and dug everything out and did one of those one day.
 Now I am doing Strawberries for some reason...
Ken