TheVirtualInstructor.com Forum

Rooster in coloured pencial

Kdeutschmann

• +1/-0
    • View Profile
Rooster in coloured pencial
« on: March 23, 2015, 03:39:47 AM »
I love coming to this forum and seeing what people are sharing of what they have done.  It is so inspiring to see what is being created and how people are challenging themselves.

Well, I have finished a coloured pencil drawing of a rooster I started many months ago.  It indeed was a daunting task, in its size (it is 16" x 20"), variety of rich colours, and details.  There certainly were times I didn't think I could do it, but I persisted, used many lessons from Matt's site, and kept at it knowing this was my creation.

I am happy with it overall.  I especially like how the tail feathers look and feel so light and full of texture.  Not so much like that in the neck and chest, however. A little more work to do in that area!

I also thought I was done when I had finished the rooster, but then after watching a Member's Minute and listening to Matt's comment about context of what a portrait is in, added the shadow underneath and the few clumps of grass.  I don't love the grass, but it will have to do.

I'd love to get some feedback on the drawing, especially on techniques, as I want to continue getting stronger in drawing realistically.

Krk

Alan Green

• +23/-2
    • View Profile
    • Rollmop Music
Re: Rooster in coloured pencial
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2015, 06:29:35 AM »
Visually, it's very good. The grasses help serve to anchor the bird to the ground which is fundamental when drawing anything; so they're doing their job even though you're not fond of them.

Technically? I can't find anything to fault. You'll have learned a lot from creating this picture, so build from there.