TheVirtualInstructor.com Forum

Critique Please!

forestfaery

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
Critique Please!
« on: March 29, 2013, 02:27:05 AM »
hi matt,

i just finished this drawing & i'm submitting it to a fantasy art club i'd really like to take part in...i tried to push the darks darker than i normally do, but i'm not sure if i overdid it... could you please let me know any suggestions you have?

btw, this is a character from one of my favorite artists (org) put into a different scene :)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 01:19:04 AM by forestfaery »

Jilly

• +0/-1
    • View Profile
Re: Critique Please!
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2013, 11:47:39 AM »
forestfaery, I think it's looking great!

I learned to draw from Lee Hammond's books and she pushes 2 major points when drawing anything:
   --to practice tons and then practice more.
   --to go further in darkening those darks, since most folks don't get them nearly dark enough.

Hope this helped.
Jill

forestfaery

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2013, 05:28:25 AM »
hi jill,

after reading your comment & looking at my drawing again, i think i'm going to darken some of the darks around the girl by 1 or 2 steps...i still have to do the foreground details, but i think darkening the darks around her, it'll make her pop a little more...

thank you for the suggestion! :)

Mrs Doodler

• +7/-0
  • student artist studying Matt's video courses :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2015, 05:12:25 PM »
Wow that is amazing I love fantasy art :-)

kanga4336

• +7/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2015, 02:47:47 AM »
It's pleasing to hear that you are going to submit this piece into a fantasy art club.  Firstly, let me congratulate you on a wonderful drawing, you can visually see the effort that you have gone to making this a complete piece of art.  The composition is strong, and your passion for the fantasy genre is evident.  So much detail, I love the hair, and how it floats in the water, the lantern and the foreground.  Superb!