TheVirtualInstructor.com Forum

Prismacolor or Derwent

gms9810

• +19/-1
    • View Profile
    • My site (one of them anyway)
Prismacolor or Derwent
« on: February 03, 2015, 12:22:36 AM »
Currently I use Prismacolor premiers and verithins. I've thought about giving Derwents a try. Before I do I decided to get opinions here in the hope that someone has tried both. The best answer will receive...... absolutely nothing, sorry but I'm poor.

Axiniya0827

• +1/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Prismacolor or Derwent
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2015, 01:44:57 PM »
Hi!

I've never had a chance to use any of Prismacolor pencils (there is totally no place to buy them in my location, though i'd love to try them!), so I can't make any comapison. But I have a set of Derwent Drawing in a tin of 24 (the largest range in Drawing line) and Derwent Metallic in a tin of 12.

The Drawing pencils are superb! They are really soft and lay down very smooth. Making layering and blending with them is absolute bliss! The led is thicker than in any normal pencil, it's easy to sharpen them (i use helical grinder type of pencil sharpener by Erich Krause) - there is no lead breakage, and the pencil holds it's tip quite sharp for a long time. The only thing you should keep in mind here is the color range of Drawing line. They are ment to be used for landscape and wildlife sketching, so there're no bright colors in this line: only very natural looking range of greens, beige, browns and ochre. So I've warned you ;D

The Metallic set is different. It's less creamy and less soft than Drawing (i believe, those are wax-based pencils, while Drawing ones are oil-based). But they are also very soft. I'm not quite sure if they do blend well, because I did only one drawing with them yet and it was on a dark paper, so I didn't get the complete idea of how they behave. They also do sharpen pretty easy too.

I used to draw with Koh-i-noor pencils (school line), because it's the most accessable brand in my coutry, and they did quite a good job in comparison with other cheap brands. Not too long ago i've recieved a Koh-i-noor Mondeluz Watercolor pencil set as a gift and they are claimed to be an artist quality pencils. And they are a MILLION TIMES better than the school ones, of course. But personaly I like Derwent Drawing pencils more. Maybe it's not quite correct to compare traditional and water-soluble pencils at all, because they naturally will behave different from each other, so it has something to do with a personal preferences, but i think you should try them out! It's not nessecery to buy a big set at all- get a set of 24 or 36 to begin with. And if you like them (and i'm sure, you will!) you can always buy a bigger set!

I think that every brand produces something slightly different from each other, so it's a good idea to try out different brands, especially if pencils are sold open-stock (btw, the derwents are sold open stock... but again, not in my country, though :'( ).

P.S. Please, don't mind if there are any grammar mistakes or typos in my post. I'm not an english-speaking person so it's a little hard for me to express my thoughts in english, but do not hesistate to ask any questions :)

gms9810

• +19/-1
    • View Profile
    • My site (one of them anyway)
Re: Prismacolor or Derwent
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2015, 06:01:52 PM »
That was helpful, thanks. Mine should be delivered tomorrow, I'm anxious to give them a try.