TheVirtualInstructor.com Forum

window painting

queenmarcia

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
window painting
« on: March 09, 2013, 10:05:37 PM »
hello.  i 'm new here.  my favorite medium is colored pencil, but i am also a beginner at painting windows and have only done the ones at a friends business. he saw some of my artwork and asked if i would like to do it,so i am trying and have read lots of window painting site info.  i would like any advice i can get,  here are my problems. i can draw something on paper, shade it put in details, but when i try to paint on the glass, it's usually too transparent or when i try to paint over an area like for shading or to write lettering on a painted area, the lettering usually removes the previous paint leaving that area clear, or if it does work, its really hard to get the lines clean even with a detail brush. i have tried tempura paint after seeing people on you tube just slap it on with great success, and my best stuff has been the pens that write on terra cotta not glass and some of the american craft acrylic paint.  it seems like if you can draw on paper, why not glass. i am thinking of trying house paint. my work just looks sloppy, not precise. i did just learn some colors are more opaque, so that should help. i am paying for supplies myself as he is a nice guy and struggling to make ends meet probably more than i am.  if anyone has had success at glass painting i would appreciate benefiting from your experiences if you have time to reply.  thanks..marcia

• Matt
  • +14/-1
  • I draw.
    • View Profile
    • TheVirtualInstructor.com
Re: window painting
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 12:18:31 AM »
Hi Marcia,

I've never painted on glass, but maybe I can give you some options.  The glass is not porous like the surface of a paper so it will behave differently.  Acrylics will stick but may peel off as will tempera paint.  There are manufacturers that make special paints for painting on glass.  I used to work at an art store in college and they were in a completely different section than the regular paints.  I'm not sure why they choose to do that, but anyhow the paints were generally all enamel paints.  Some of the paints are transparent while others are more opaque.  These are all permanent solutions, so if you are looking for a temporary solution don't go this route.  The brands I remember are Vitrea and Deltaperm.   

GOGoodwill

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
window painting
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2015, 07:29:42 AM »
Since I dont have any pics, my car looks alot like jordans only stock.  My mirrors are faded badly, and my basketweaves look like shit.  I was thinking of painting my window trim, mirrors, and wheels a gunmetal color.  I wanted to do the shadoline anyway, but this way it would all match. I might even paint the front grille the same color.  What do you all think?

Raybrite

• +11/-0
    • View Profile
Re: window painting
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2015, 12:25:37 PM »
Gogoodwill- You need to begin a new topic and not try to change this one.
 As for painting on glass, I am one of those who used to paint my windows for Christmas. I used Tempra and didn't worry about trying to make it look like one done in acrylic.
 If this is just for the Holidays, you might see what you can do with them. It comes off with Glass wax if they still sell that. ( I haven't done it for years.) Just make Christmas trees and some snow scenes with white snowflakes coming down., Things like that should do okay as they will be cleaned off after the Holidays.
 If you are going for permanent, I would look for the brands Matt suggested. Those will probably stay on much longer. Sort of like a stained glass window.
 Hope that didn't confuse you.
 Ken

Infepay

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
    • продукты из греции
window painting
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2016, 12:49:36 PM »
Ah, classic Sasquatch. Im surprised the video doesnt show the part at the end where he finally succeeded and then just ate all the briar.