TheVirtualInstructor.com Forum

Sharpening pencils

creekside

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
Sharpening pencils
« on: February 20, 2013, 03:36:43 PM »
Hi,
First post here. What is the best way to sharpen the soft graphite pencils? I have an old drawing pencil set that came with one of those small plastic razor blade sharpeners, but it doesn't do a very good job. I also have a standard electric sharpener, but I think that's desgined for yellow #2 pencils. It just grinds away the tip. I just signed up with VirtualInstructor. I'm planning to pick up a drawing tablet today and thought I might look for a sharpener, or maybe different pencils. Thanks for the help.

• Matt
  • +15/-1
  • I draw.
    • View Profile
    • TheVirtualInstructor.com
Re: Sharpening pencils
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 03:44:58 PM »
Hi Creekside,

There are several ways that I sharpen a pencil.  Often just a simple metal handheld sharpener does the trick, but if I want a really sharp tip, I'll use an exacto knife.  You can also use a plank with sandpaper stapled to it.  They sell the sandpaper contraptions at most art stores.  Hope this helps.

creekside

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 03:59:34 PM »
Thanks Matt. Is the simple metal sharpener like the plastic one I described? It's like the one that came in our pencil boxes as kids. Maybe mine is just a poor quality sharpener. I'll check out the sandpaper option, and see what else I can find.

forestfaery

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2013, 07:32:12 PM »
those little plastic sharpeners are awful, but the little metal ones work really well for my pencils! (i use tombow mono and occasionally staedtler pencils)...

Drewbie

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2014, 06:34:10 AM »
faber-castell-grip-trio-sharpener
This is the one I have used for years

Genie

• +2/-0
  • I teach
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2014, 09:10:41 PM »
I like the prismacolor sharpener, with the built in tub to catch the sharpening and a lid, to keep my stuff clean.  It's my go-to sharpener, because I travel a lot with my art stuff.  ;)

TetragMib

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2015, 07:19:53 PM »
faber-castell-grip-trio-sharpenerThis is the one I have used for years

What a nice topic

TetragMib

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2015, 07:22:26 PM »
faber-castell-grip-trio-sharpenerThis is the one I have used for years

Sorry for that I interfere ... I understand this question. Ready to help.

TetragMib

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2015, 07:22:38 PM »
Hi Creekside,There are several ways that I sharpen a pencil.  Often just a simple metal handheld sharpener does the trick, but if I want a really sharp tip, I'll use an exacto knife.  You can also use a plank with sandpaper stapled to it.  They sell the sandpaper contraptions at most art stores.  Hope this helps.

exceptional delirium

Monicakat

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2015, 10:14:09 PM »
those little plastic sharpeners are awful, but the little metal ones work really well for my pencils! (i use tombow mono and occasionally staedtler pencils)...

I apologize , but , in my opinion , you are making a mistake . Write to me in PM, we will talk.