TheVirtualInstructor.com Forum

An Eagle

gms9810

• +19/-1
    • View Profile
    • My site (one of them anyway)
An Eagle
« on: January 26, 2015, 08:23:55 PM »
A lady in a photographic group I'm in took the picture. I decided to draw it (with her permission). I think I should have not put the blue chalk background in.

gms9810

• +19/-1
    • View Profile
Re: An Eagle
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2015, 10:06:13 AM »
This is my digital version. I know this isn't pertinent to what we learn here but I've come to believe that digital is a valid media. It too about 5 or 6 hours.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 10:08:15 AM by gms9810 »

AirTodd

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2015, 07:03:37 AM »
I like what you have done.I need to play with my pencils more.

gms9810

• +19/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2015, 10:50:54 PM »
I like what you have done.I need to play with my pencils more.
I did the bottom one digitally.

Genie

• +2/-0
  • I teach
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2015, 09:38:00 PM »
I like them both.  And of course, digital art is a media in itself.  I loved doing it at university (when I had way more free time than I suspect I will ever have again).  It's huge, so don't feel like you're not posting "art".  You are.  And it takes as long, if not longer, to get a  good digital painting.  Keep it up!

Matt has some digital media stuff on here somewhere.  Check out his latest post on digital oil painting!

I agree, though, I think the picture you did by hand could do with either being in colour, or not.  The blue background makes me feel the bird should have colour.  Perhaps you could push the contrast more with your darks?  The proportions are pretty good, though, and I like the way you've done the feathers!  You've really paid attention to the direction of the feathers and it works.  Good job!

The digital painting looks... fluffy!  I like it.  The colours you used put me in mind of a young, fluffy eagle, rather than the one in the picture (who looks like it would bite your hand off).  Maybe the browns of the feathers would age it a bit?  The beak shape here is great!  You've managed that beautifully.  Well done.

Which do you prefer?  Hand drawn or digital?

gms9810

• +19/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2015, 11:31:56 PM »
His digital section was the first thing I looked at when I signed on, but his are all Illustrator and I don't use that. For vectors I use Xara Designer Pro and for actual art I use Artrage. I have Photoshop Elements but rarely use it. For graphics work I prefer Gimp.

Which do I prefer, digital or old fashioned media? Hmmmmm. I'm much better with digital [because it's easier to undo mistakes] but conventional is hands down my favorite. When I sit down with a pencil in my hand something magical happens. Time and everything in the world ceases to exist and on the rare occasion that my stroke is just perfect the feeling is incomparable. You probably know just what I'm talking about.

gms9810

• +19/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2015, 11:38:54 PM »
"Perhaps you could push the contrast more with your darks?" Yes, it needs more values. My original was much darker but it lightened up when I scanned it. I don't know why I didn't adjust it before I posted it. The blue chalk was a snap decision that I regret. As you said, it makes the actual center of attention look bland. Live and learn. Last year I couldn't even draw a period. I'm learning and having fun doing it.

gms9810

• +19/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2015, 04:00:50 PM »
Im looking at a red eagle at 98. Blue book of guns says its worth 450 but it does have original cardboard box, manual and one year guarantee. Does that make it worth more?
That makes no sense.

gms9810

• +19/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2015, 08:42:55 PM »
How would I know that?