TheVirtualInstructor.com Forum

Sketching under a painting????????

Mark636233

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
Sketching under a painting????????
« on: January 25, 2015, 11:24:08 PM »
Three week ago I signed up for The Virtual Instructor.  I did so in order to get ready for a beginner oil painting class that I signed up for at the Community College.  I can't believe how much I learned on this site and how detailed the instruction is.  Bravo Matt!  Prior to this instruction I couldn't draw a circle or a square and now I am doing sketches that are impressing myself and my family.  I have watched Drawing, Oil Painting, and Colored Pencil.

Last Thursday I attended my first oil painting class at the Community College.  The first thing we did was graph the reference photo and then the canvas.  So far so good.  Then the instructor told us to use a Sharpie and sketch the reference photo onto the canvas, and then start painting.

At first everything was ok but now four days later the paint is almost dry and the sketch is showing through and the painting is ruined.

Has anybody ever heard of sketching under a painting?

• Matt
  • +14/-1
  • I draw.
    • View Profile
    • TheVirtualInstructor.com
Re: Sketching under a painting????????
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2015, 11:36:59 PM »
Hi Mark,

Thanks for your comments!!!

I think that it is important to keep in mind that everyone will approach creating art differently.  One person's "right way" may not be the best for the next.  If the layering of your colors is light, then a sketch created with a sharpie will undoubtable show through.  Your professor may paint with heavier applications, covering the sketch underneath completely.  Every painting is an exercise of growth.  I heard a quote, today in fact, that there are either wins or learns - never any loses.  Maybe you have learned that your professor's approach is not the best for you.  You may consider sketching out drawing with graphite or even charcoal before painting. If your layering of colors is lighter, then you should have no problem covering the drawing underneath.