Re: What would you like to see?
« Reply #45 on: May 31, 2014, 03:28:56 PM »
how about alla prima oil painting videos tutorial

SkyRiverBlue

• +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 01, 2014, 01:28:59 AM »
I have a couple different suggestions for you, Matt. How about something on caricature or cartooning, and something on signing your artwork.

Cartooning is a lot of fun, it's very freeform, and I think it's the way many people get into drawing when they are kids. I certainly did. Some Technics and pointers would be great!

Q I sometimes find that after I create a piece in oil pastel or colored pencil or other media that it is so dark or heavily layered that qit is difficult to sign. Signing on the edges is not an option because I want to mat and frame the piece

• Matt
  • +14/-1
  • I draw.
    • View Profile
    • TheVirtualInstructor.com
« Reply #47 on: June 01, 2014, 12:58:06 PM »
I would love to see a live lesson using prismacolor markers. I have not seen anything like that on your fabulous website. Thanks in advance - Kyle

Hi Kyle,

Sounds like a good idea.  It will be good to revisit the markers.  I'll add it to the list.

Thanks,
Matt

• Matt
  • +14/-1
  • I draw.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 01, 2014, 01:00:15 PM »
Hi Matt,

I too would love to see something on markers.  I've seen a few videos recently where markers have been used with coloured pencils and other media to create very realistic and great looking drawings. 

Thanks,

D

Hi djhislop,

It's on my list.  ;)

Thanks,
Matt

• Matt
  • +14/-1
  • I draw.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 01, 2014, 01:01:53 PM »
how about alla prima oil painting videos tutorial

Hi Federicof,

Sounds like a good idea.  We'll take a look at Alla Prima (or direct painting) in a few weeks.  Thanks for the suggestion.

Thanks,
Matt

• Matt
  • +14/-1
  • I draw.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 01, 2014, 01:13:16 PM »
I have a couple different suggestions for you, Matt. How about something on caricature or cartooning, and something on signing your artwork.

Cartooning is a lot of fun, it's very freeform, and I think it's the way many people get into drawing when they are kids. I certainly did. Some Technics and pointers would be great!

Q I sometimes find that after I create a piece in oil pastel or colored pencil or other media that it is so dark or heavily layered that qit is difficult to sign. Signing on the edges is not an option because I want to mat and frame the piece

Hi SkyRiverBlue,

Thanks for the suggestion on cartooning.  I'll add it to the list of tutorials.

Interesting that you bring signing artwork up.  I have always hated signing my work for some reason.  I only really sign artwork done for commissions.  I never signed artwork completed for illustrations.  I think that I can cover signing artwork in a blog post.  It is definitely something that needs to be covered.

Anyway, when signing your work with heavy pigmented materials like oil pastels or colored pencils, my suggestion would be to find areas within the picture plane that are light in value and sign with a darker color.  With oil pastels, however, you may be able to put down enough pressure to cover a darker area with a lighter value.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,
Matt

• Matt
  • +14/-1
  • I draw.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 01, 2014, 01:15:05 PM »
Hi Matt.  I have a rather strange request, so feel free to give it a funny look and ignore it ;-)

I'm British, so I am a big fan of art that depicts rain really well.  Strange as that may seem.  I am often found in the conservatory when it's raining, simply because I like the sound.

Leonid Afremov's ability to paint rainy parks and urban landscapes is amazing.  I would love to learn how to create rainy scenes in different mediums.  My current mediums of choice are coloured pencil and soft pastel, but I am more than happy to pick up new ones.  I am looking into watercolour as well, having just re-discovered my old watercolour set.  And I have a new Faber Castell oil pastel set...

Hi Genie,

Not strange at all.  I'll add a tutorial on drawing/painting rain.  Thanks for the suggestion.

Thanks,
Matt

SkyRiverBlue

• +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 05, 2014, 05:42:48 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions on signing, MattI guess a signature is something else to take into consideration from the beginning planning  of a piece. Perhaps sometimes signing outside the image area -- and matting outside the image to show the signature is one option. That allows folks to see the images edges and maybe lends a more painterly feel to a framed piece. Looking forward to your blog piece on that.

Would also love to hear your thoughts on framing and matting, too.

Thanks again for  all your work on the site and so freely sharing what you know!

• Matt
  • +14/-1
  • I draw.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 16, 2014, 10:58:31 PM »
Hi SkyRiverBlue,

I've posted on signing your artwork over here...

http://thevirtualinstructor.com/blog/how-to-sign-artwork

I hope that you find it helpful.

Matt

SkyRiverBlue

• +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 24, 2014, 07:13:15 PM »
The blog post was wonderful... thanks for taking the time to share that. It made me realize that a signature is a piece you really have to plan for  -- as well how the work will be matted/framed -- just like any other element in the composition.

After reading the blog post on signatures, I discovered your post on "Is Illustration Art?", which I would like to comment on here as well.

Joan Miro wote: "You can look at a picture for a week and never think of it again. You can also look at a picture for a second and think of it for the rest of your life."

I believe that art is about expression. It is something that moves us, that makes us feel, and perhaps invites us to look at things through another's eyes. Art is a drawing, a painting, a sculpture, a song, a poster. The mechanics of how we make it or where the inspiration comes from should not matter.

In the recent documentary, "Tim's Vermeer," graphic artist and inventor Tim Jenison makes a very good case that Vermeer used a simple optical device to help him capture that famous glow in his oil paintings. If Tim's theory is correct -- and he makes a very convincing case that it is -- then by definition Vermeer was merely an illustrator. Yet no one claims that a Vermeer painting is not art. Similarly, if someone "paints" a a work with an iPad, or draws from a photo, or uses a grid system to draw a sketch, does that mean they have not created art? By defining art narrowly, by saying one thing is art and another is less-than, we ignore the whole reason that art is important. By putting art in a box, we keep it there.

Each of us has an inner artist. Putting value judgments on that inner artist keeps him or her bottled inside. So thanks for making this an inclusive place, where we can learn to find and express that inner spark and create art that moves ourselves and others, no matter how or why.

Tiarella

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 28, 2014, 11:10:13 AM »
Hi Matt, is there a clear way of planning watercolour washes i.e. a set of rules to work to when planning a watercolour painting?
Regards,
Jim

• Matt
  • +14/-1
  • I draw.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 29, 2014, 09:03:31 PM »
Hi Matt, is there a clear way of planning watercolour washes i.e. a set of rules to work to when planning a watercolour painting?
Regards,
Jim

Hi Jim,

There are no rules.  The best approach is through experimentation.  Perhaps make a few test squares and layer colors and see how they optically mix as they are layered. 

When I paint with watercolors, I do try to start layering colors in areas that will eventually be the darkest values in the image.  This helps prevent getting too dark, too quickly.

Thanks,
Matt

Holt

• +6/-1
    • View Profile
“Video Critiques”
« Reply #57 on: July 17, 2014, 11:21:41 PM »
Hi Matt,
I have a thought …it’s not a tutorial per say… though I think it could be fun and help a lot in the long run. How about doing “Video Critiques” of our drawings (per week, or month), I think it could help teach us how to see and fix tricky areas and progress oneself.  Maybe a member’s only folder on the Forum for people to post their drawings in for critique, then maybe you’ll choose one that reflect areas where many of us have like issues, give us a full breakdown plus assessment of the chosen drawing (maybe you can photocopy the image) and rework the problem zones (you can’t erase completely but enough to see changes) so we can see how it’s done.  At the end you can show drawing comparisons, so we can see where the image started from and to where it could go using your techniques that you teach us through your videos.  It’s just a thought.

PSs I would also love to see tutorials on all the different pencil techniques say for instance pencil stroke
Thank you
June
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 11:25:13 PM by Holt »

heidienfern

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 02, 2014, 01:14:02 PM »
Hi Matt,

I would like to see a watercolor portrait as a tutorial.  :)
Also more oilpaintings.

Thanks!

Grtz
Heidi
Modify message

Elhenfr

• +4/-0
    • View Profile
    • My Flick Gallery
« Reply #59 on: September 02, 2014, 05:19:09 AM »
I really enjoyed the Graphitint peebles' tutorial  so wanted more of Graphitint tutorials if it's possible!  Thanks for your site which is tremendous!