TheVirtualInstructor.com Forum

What's your favorite brand of drawing pencils?

• Matt
  • +14/-1
  • I draw.
    • View Profile
    • TheVirtualInstructor.com
What's your favorite brand of drawing pencils?
« on: July 25, 2012, 01:28:11 AM »
Let's get a discussion going on your favorite brand of drawing pencils.  Feel free to discuss what you like about your brand...

Daniel

• +0/-0
  • i do pencil drawings for the most part (:
    • View Profile
Re: What's your favorite brand of drawing pencils?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, 08:55:00 PM »
I dont really have any favorite brand, but if any of you guys have any good once.. especially charcoal pencils then please let me know  :D
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 08:59:24 PM by Daniel »

• Matt
  • +14/-1
  • I draw.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2012, 11:25:30 PM »
I personally like the General's Layout Pencil.  It's got a soft graphite core, but the lead is very strong and keeps a sharp point.

bob1298

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2012, 01:17:32 PM »
I use mech. pencils with Pentel lead 0.3 & 0.5 mm. Leads H, B, F, 2B & 4B. The reasons are that I am able to get graphite down into the tooth of the paper without to much pressure so I don't destroy the tooth. Also "DON'T HAVE TO SHARPEN". I have tried other pencils including clutch pencils of all types but this is what works best for me.

artsyboi202

• +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2012, 06:34:59 AM »
derwnet all the way baby 8)

• Matt
  • +14/-1
  • I draw.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2012, 07:32:02 PM »
Yeah, Derwent's pretty decent.  I like Derwent's mid-range pencils. (HB, B, H)  I like Berol's hard graphite pencils (2H-9H)

forestfaery

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2012, 04:10:29 AM »
my favorites are tombow mono...although the staedtler mars lumograph is a close second! i tried a bunch of different ones, including derwent, prismacolor, kimberly, reeves & the grafwood caran d'ache, but for me none of them compared to the evenness of the tombow pencils & the fact that i haven't had any problems with them having shards in them...i love them! :)  derwents seem to hold a sharpened point a little better than the tombows, but i didn't like how i was always having a problem with wood shards... the grafwoods were smooth, but they didn't hold a point AT ALL! they're almost like crayon because they're so soft... i do really like staedtler's mars lumograph pencils almost as much as the tombows, though...they're a little harder, so the darks don't seem to get quite as dark until you get past 2b, but they seem to hold a sharper point. they're my 2nd choice go-to pencil :)

i actually did a review on pencils for another forum & i took a picture of gradations that i did with all of the above pencils - i'll dig it up & post it here so everyone can see what each pencil looks like!

Steve

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2013, 03:43:12 PM »
I like tombow and prismacolor graphite oencils

Tiarella

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2014, 06:15:08 PM »
Trying all sorts including 2mm Rotring, General Layout and Faber Castell 9000. Haven't drawn any conclusions yet though!!!

Genie

• +1/-0
  • I teach
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2014, 07:30:50 PM »
At the moment I'm rather partial to Prismacolor Ebony pencil.  I seem to be able to get all I need out of that one pencil and it holds it's point well.

billycamryn

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2014, 05:04:40 AM »
I have recently bought Derwent Drawing Pencil Sets from JerrysArtarama.com Online Store.They are one of my favorites, as it gives beautifully, soft & amazing finish! They are just awesome!

nikkinoodles

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2014, 06:47:35 PM »
I like the Steadler Mars Lumograph ones.

I have some faber castell clutch pencils and 9000 wood cased but I haven't really used them to test them, I keep automatically picking the steadler ones. I have some Derwent graphics on order to try as well.

I really need to spend more time drawing and less time buying.  ;D

craftyaj

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2014, 06:07:55 PM »
My favorites after much testing my favorite ended up being the Prismacolor clutch pencils with Koh-i-noor lead sticks in the full range.  They keep their point very well and are a breeze to sharpen (need lead sharpener - i found the metal ones to be superior), and are always the same size and weight - no stubs to deal with or throw away.  One stick seems to last forever.  They don't require any trees to be cut, which pleases environmentalists.

I really hated how much of my pencils ended up in the sharpener tub.  It seemed to me I only used about a third of the pencil, which ate at my sense of economy.  I have already found that the 12 lead sticks you get in a package last FAR longer than 12 pencils.  Gotta love em.

jacobjackson

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2014, 10:53:34 AM »
I use "SoHo Ebony Graphite Drawing Pencils" as they are Soft, dark and helps to create gray tones by varying hand pressure.

Holt

• +6/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2014, 12:30:33 AM »
has anyone tried Blick Studio Drawing pencils?