TheVirtualInstructor.com Forum

Colored Pencil Course - Lessons 6 & 7

dmseberg

• +5/-0
    • View Profile
Colored Pencil Course - Lessons 6 & 7
« on: December 26, 2014, 09:32:35 PM »
Here's my "version" of the composition and still life lesson.

This is drawn on Stonehenge 9x12 paper.  I started out using the 36 color Polychromos pencil set but I found I couldn't get a good "grape-ee" look with them so I switched to a 72 color Prismacolor set.  Being a newbie I can't say which pencil set I prefer overall, I like them both.  I found the drawing of the text on the label to be particularly difficult, for me at least.

Not to sure how I feel about the product but I did thoroughly enjoy the process.

What to draw next, hmmmh?   :-\

• Matt
  • +14/-1
  • I draw.
    • View Profile
    • TheVirtualInstructor.com
Re: Colored Pencil Course - Lessons 6 & 7
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2014, 01:49:51 PM »
WOW!  This is excellent work!  Well done.  I like the clean, crispness of your drawing - very controlled.  The gradation in the background is really well done and the reflections are very convincing.  I can't wait to see your next work!

gms9810

• +19/-1
    • View Profile
    • My site (one of them anyway)
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2014, 11:49:16 PM »
Really nice work! Its much better than I could do.

dmseberg

• +5/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2014, 04:56:28 AM »
Matt,

Thank you for the kind words.  They're very much appreciated.  I'm at the stage where everything I do is a learning experience which is a lot of fun.

==========

gms9810

"Really nice work! Its much better than I could do."

I disagree, from what I've seen of your posts to date, you're tackling much more difficult subject matter than I am.  For instance, I've got a L-O-N-G way to go before I'll be attempting any portraits.

gms9810

• +19/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2014, 07:46:31 PM »
So far. digital is still my stronger medium. I drew this one digitally. I'm trying to move beyond that though, besides, drawing with real pencils is much more fun. I really think drawing people isn't going to be my strong point.

ThomasBus

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
    • Освещение
Colored Pencil Course Lesson
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2015, 05:24:13 PM »
What an honor - I could edit out Miss Mouse and put colored pencil in instead.

dmseberg

• +5/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2015, 09:58:47 AM »
So far. digital is still my stronger medium. I drew this one digitally. I'm trying to move beyond that though, besides, drawing with real pencils is much more fun. I really think drawing people isn't going to be my strong point.

Very nice.  What graphics software are you using?  Are you using a pressure sensitive tablet as well?  I did a small amount of graphics designing while I was self employed, logos and such but nothing lately though.

I agree, drawing people seems like it will be very difficult but like all things, the more time and effort that goes in, the better the end result will be.

Holt

• +6/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2015, 05:39:58 PM »
dmseberg,
This is fantastic, job well done  I LOVE it... looks very realistic!

gms9810

• +19/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2015, 04:52:23 AM »

Very nice.  What graphics software are you using?  Are you using a pressure sensitive tablet as well?  I did a small amount of graphics designing while I was self employed, logos and such but nothing lately though.

I agree, drawing people seems like it will be very difficult but like all things, the more time and effort that goes in, the better the end result will be.
I use Artrage usually, sometimes an open source thing called Krita. By far though it's Artrage and yes, I have my trusty Intuos with me all the time.