TheVirtualInstructor.com Forum

My....mess?

gms9810

• +19/-1
    • View Profile
    • My site (one of them anyway)
My....mess?
« on: December 19, 2014, 09:02:13 PM »
I hope this is the place you mentioned last night during the lesson for us to post our projects.
For better or worse Here is my very first portrait. Keep two things, ok three things in mind:
1 - This really is my first try at drawing a portrait.
2 - It was done before your lesson on hair.
3 - The reference [included] was a scaled up pic from a phone and not very good.
Having said that, on with the show.

gms9810

• +19/-1
    • View Profile
Re: My....mess?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2014, 09:21:26 PM »
I just realized just how bad it is  :'(

• Matt
  • +15/-1
  • I draw.
    • View Profile
    • TheVirtualInstructor.com
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2014, 01:07:59 AM »
I just realized just how bad it is  :'(

Hi GMS,

First-that is one awesome avatar!  Second, this is not bad at all!!!  You're getting a good range of value and you have some nice darks and lights creating strong contrast.  The photo reference has a fairly high contrast associated with it as well.  The control over the application of large areas of gray is executed well too.  I can offer a couple of suggestions if you'd like as well, but only if you'd like me to.  Third - A huge thank you for sharing!!! 

gms9810

• +19/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2014, 11:24:39 PM »
Sure, you're the teacher. Anything you have to say will be valued. I feel hopeless when it comes to drawing faces, I've drawn this one 8 times so far and still can't get it right. Other things I feel reasonably confident at, faces seem to be impossible.
I feel I'm not bad at landscapes and wildlife. I drew a tree a while back to make a point in another forum, that being so many people draw trees as generic trees while each kind of tree is unique and has it's own shape and bark and that people should study trees and understand them. Being an old country boy that's been a peeve for me so I drew this white oak to make my point: which I feel is pretty accurate. I've even thought about doing a series of drawings covering all of our local trees. Trees...good, faces... terrible.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 11:35:10 PM by gms9810 »

gms9810

• +19/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2014, 07:08:31 PM »
This is my next (and last) version. Other than her eyes being a tiny bit further apart  than I would prefer I don't think it's too bad for a first try, ok, my tenth first try.

Gelka

• +0/-0
  • It's just me!
    • View Profile
My mess
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2015, 05:13:24 PM »
Going to be a mess for sure agree with Canada on price your done ... But if you need an operation your on a waiting list ....

gms9810

• +19/-1
    • View Profile
Re: My mess
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2015, 07:39:49 PM »
Going to be a mess for sure agree with Canada on price your done ... But if you need an operation your on a waiting list ....
Yeah, it was lousy but I learned from it