TheVirtualInstructor.com Forum

Beautiful little one

melhenline

• +4/-0
    • View Profile
Beautiful little one
« on: December 06, 2014, 10:37:58 AM »
No real schooling and eager to improve honest criticism on areas that others might think that I need to work on and maybe some of my strong points

Alan Green

• +23/-2
    • View Profile
    • Rollmop Music
Re: Beautiful little one
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2014, 08:52:51 AM »
Is it just how it's been scanned/ uploaded? There's so much of the face missing off the page.

melhenline

• +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2014, 10:10:45 AM »
Is it just how it's been scanned/ uploaded? There's so much of the face missing off the page.

Alan Green thank you for looking and your comment the hole drawing is there it was from a sefie she had taken that I loved  ;D

Alan Green

• +23/-2
    • View Profile
    • Rollmop Music
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2014, 11:16:23 PM »
What's there is very good. What happens if you draw from a live person in the room?

melhenline

• +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2014, 02:56:22 AM »
What's there is very good. What happens if you draw from a live person in the room?

Thank you very much and I have not tried that before I think I would like to try that  ;D

Holt

• +6/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2015, 05:19:17 PM »
First let me say I love her expression and proportion is stop on!  What I see right off is the hard lines around the lips and eyes if you were to blend out those lines your picture would look more realistic  the hard lines make any picture look like a coloring book.  I hopr this help other then that you have done a fantastic job.

Daniel Y

• +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2017, 04:43:55 PM »
What are you doing right? Proportion perspective and relationship of facial features. very good on all. don't down play the importance of these either. Many artist have huge struggles with one more or all of these. I see eyes nose an mouth that all agree on the size of the portrait. eyes that are in line with each other. a nose and mouth that agree with what is level to the face. all facial features that agree on where the front of the face is. I even see ears that are positioned well on the side of the head. I see a face that has a front sides. top and even a bottom. although you don't see the bottom.
What I see can be improved. One big one and it is the only one I will mention. outlining. faces do not have outlines. the transition but do not have edges. faces curve out of sight . they do not simply cut off.  lips transition into a nose. noses transition into cheeks and brows. brows and cheek transition into eyes etc. one thing fades out as another fades in. So work on getting rid of your outlines and abrupt changes. No lines, no lines, no lines. fade in, fade out grasshopper fade in, fade out. Wonderful drawing by the way.

izzychase

• +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2017, 08:02:02 AM »
Daniel covered many of the good points.  I think it is an excellent portrait.  I think you did very will with the hair which is difficult for many artist.  Proportion is also difficult and you seem to have done very well with that.

If I had to make a suggestion, it would be to keep working range of value.  (something I struggle with myself).  Any piece, especially a monochrome always looks better the more range of value it has.

Izzy

melhenline

• +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2017, 06:57:17 AM »
Every comment helps ♥ thank you I do see what you are pointing out and with my hard lines it is some thing I am working I have never taken a class and do not really know what area's i need to work on but WoW '' fantastic job'' and other positive comments is so over whelming for me and helps give me confidence in showing my work thank you so very much

melhenline

• +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2017, 05:39:03 AM »
First let me say I love her expression and proportion is stop on!  What I see right off is the hard lines around the lips and eyes if you were to blend out those lines your picture would look more realistic  the hard lines make any picture look like a coloring book.  I hopr this help other then that you have done a fantastic job.
What are you doing right? Proportion perspective and relationship of facial features. very good on all. don't down play the importance of these either. Many artist have huge struggles with one more or all of these. I see eyes nose an mouth that all agree on the size of the portrait. eyes that are in line with each other. a nose and mouth that agree with what is level to the face. all facial features that agree on where the front of the face is. I even see ears that are positioned well on the side of the head. I see a face that has a front sides. top and even a bottom. although you don't see the bottom.
What I see can be improved. One big one and it is the only one I will mention. outlining. faces do not have outlines. the transition but do not have edges. faces curve out of sight . they do not simply cut off.  lips transition into a nose. noses transition into cheeks and brows. brows and cheek transition into eyes etc. one thing fades out as another fades in. So work on getting rid of your outlines and abrupt changes. No lines, no lines, no lines. fade in, fade out grasshopper fade in, fade out. Wonderful drawing by the way.

Yes I see what everyone is saying about my hard lines I have watched a few things to learn how to draw without hard lines
My drawing cuts off because the photo cut off and I was only drawing what was in her photo.
I am taking every word to heart and every comment helps to see what I need to improve on you are wonderful for your time and helpful words

Daniel Y

• +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2017, 02:04:18 PM »
Values how to use them and how "They" work. That is an extremely complex subject. For me it seems to be one those things you never completely understand and will always be pursuing a better use of. But I can give you a very clinical explanation of it. Not that I find tremendous value in clinical explanations but at least it can serve as a jumping off point. Because for me values are a thing you do and see for yourself.  So here it is. anything that has a contour to its form the curve of a ball a concave in any curves roughness of a rock etc. has to have an appropriate changing of tone. or value. tone and value are two words for the same thing. So think of a ball. a simple continuously curving smooth surface nothing but curve to determine what shade of grey any part of the surface is. but for it to "Appear continuously curving. it must have a continuously varying shade of grey form lightest to darkest. Now lets say you want to create the appearance of a wrinkle on the surface of your ball. The value will alter much more rapidly bit also in a manner that causes your mind to interpret a wrinkle that the surface cured faster and then became a deeper area more shaded form the light and then returned to the normal smooth surface. so the use of and effect of value is actually found I that idea. Our minds know what a wrinkle looks like even though we do not consciously know it. it has translated darks and light all your life into being a wrinkle. to intentional create a wrinkle requires you delve into consciously knowing what causes your mind to translate values into a wrinkle. And there are things like light values that create highlights. Darkening values in such a way your mind translated contour or form. and then darker value for your mind to interpret a recess or low spot. All of these values combine so your mind translates them into a difference in the surface and then decides that difference is a wrinkle and that it is so long so wide so deep and is it sharp like a crack or formed like a wrinkle in cloth. Now just a touch on the more advances issue of value. and why we really do not know all there is to know. Value actually has to do with light. whether it is values of grey or values of any other color. and the truth is our understanding of light and how it works is not completely known and is actively changing all the time. Value itself by definition is simply the lightness or darkness of an color. including white and black. yes white and black have values they are called greys. Light values are called tints while dark values are called tones. Class dismissed, hope you are still awake.

melhenline

• +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2017, 05:06:17 PM »
Thank you Daniel Y I love that you sent me another reply.
I was thinking it had something to do with the lights and dark of shadings and I will keep this in mind all the time now  :-* 
Thank you very much -