TheVirtualInstructor.com Forum

Landscape oil

bkminn

• +1/-0
    • View Profile
Landscape oil
« on: November 10, 2014, 02:37:18 PM »
I have been trying my hand at oils, taking in any info I can from books, videos, tutorials on this site and a few other sources.  But without some feedback from those who know what they are doing, it's difficult to know what's working and what's not.  This is a painting I did following a "step-by-step" book. I thought it skipped a few vital steps but I could be over reaching.  Any comments or help would be greatly appreciated.

Alan Green

• +23/-2
    • View Profile
    • Rollmop Music
Re: Landscape oil
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2014, 07:47:51 PM »
Your foreground rocks, and middle-distance tree, have shadows; but your mountain in the distance doesn't. It's as though the light is hitting that mountain from a different direction, which makes it unconvincing.

Full marks for effort though

bkminn

• +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2014, 11:39:50 AM »
Thanks for the feedback Alan.  I was trying to dull the colors but I see what you're saying.  Would you add shadow to the hill to give it some dimension?  I plan on trying this one again so I'll keep that in mind.

Alan Green

• +23/-2
    • View Profile
    • Rollmop Music
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2014, 11:21:54 PM »
Yes, the right side of the hill needs more shadow shades.

ThomasBus

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
    • Освещение
Landscap
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2015, 05:21:25 PM »
Thanks for the feedback so far, looks like the landscape style painting is taking the lead at the moment.

I love side debate of the pears making people hungry or not

RikR

• +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2015, 10:42:11 AM »
Alan has a good eye for the shadows. I also need to consider shadows more. Good start, look forward to seeing your future work here.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 04:02:32 PM by RikR »