TheVirtualInstructor.com Forum

My Artwork 16x20 oil on canvas-"Trinity"

dj1304

• +1/-0
    • View Profile
My Artwork 16x20 oil on canvas-"Trinity"
« on: September 25, 2014, 09:57:02 PM »
This is a 16x20 oil on canvas.  I'm fairly new to oil painting so I welcome any critique that would be useful. 

Alan Green

• +23/-2
    • View Profile
    • Rollmop Music
Re: My Artwork 16x20 oil on canvas-"Trinity"
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2014, 05:34:03 AM »
Fantasy art - cool.

The river's a little too central, I feel; it divides the picture into two halves. I'd have placed it more over to one side.

Technically, though, it looks good.

dj1304

• +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2014, 08:06:17 PM »
Thank you.  I agree.  I tried to balance it out by bringing in part of the stream from the right lower corner and adding larger and more boulders to the right in an attempt to visually offset it but, yeah...it most definitively is too central.  There are some other things that bother me about the piece but I think I can re-create the color and feel I'm after and do the piece over.  Unfortunately, it was one of those things where I kind of painted myself into a corner and just couldn't stop.  I should've drawn out a few thumbnails.  Thanks for your insight. :)

Royz

• +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2014, 09:48:39 PM »
I'd say it is an excellent piece of art, the river comes down from the upper left and exits a little past center on the lower right. From my photography days I'd say great framing. You seem to have captured the mood of the scene which flows nicely. Your colors are pleasing, and the river flows nicely. Had the river flowed a little more to the bottom right It may or may not have improved the soul of the scene. My guess is it would have.
None the less...Great work!

Roy