TheVirtualInstructor.com Forum

The Grid Method

Mrs Doodler

• +7/-0
  • student artist studying Matt's video courses :)
    • View Profile
The Grid Method
« on: August 18, 2014, 02:54:53 PM »
Hello everyone, hope you all are okay  :)
I have been a member on here a while now and I am on studying one of Matt's course ' The secret to drawing' and I am really enjoying it. I have not really been on the forums until doing Matt's 30 day sketching challenge which was great & seeing everyone's work posted was great too, some fantastic sketches !!!!

My main reason for this post is that I recently did the lesson, drawing from photos with Matt using the grid method. Well my friend asked me to do a drawing of her two border collies and I decided to use the grid method as she give me a photo she had took with then lying on the grass waiting for the next ball to be thrown for them.

It is going really well so far and I just wanted to say that 'the grid method' is fantastic !! It is great for getting the right proportions on my drawing plus like Matt says, it let's you concentrate on small portions on my drawing so that it doesn't overwhelm me.

Once it is finished I will post it up on here, I would like to say thank you to Matt for his fantastic courses and this site and especially for letting me be a member for such an affordable price !!! I looked at many online courses and they were pretty expensive and they all involved painting and I want to concentrate on my passion that is pencil drawings using a variety of mediums, graphite,charcoal, carbon and also coloured pencils and soft pastels so these courses suit me down to the ground :)

I lost my job 5 years ago because of a spinal condition and Fibromyalgia, so drawing is my passion and it helps me so much and takes my mind off constant pain and fatigue. I used to draw when I was at school and I lost it altogether when I was a full time mum to my two beautiful children who are now 18 and 20, my daughter bought me a book on astronomically sketching as I have a love of astronomy and it awakened my drawing passion, she deserves a big thank you and I did thank her many times, I discovered I could still draw okay but I wanted to get better and after looking online for art courses I found 'The virtual instructor' what an amazing site that did courses I want to do and for that price to become a member, I had to look twice as I couldn't believe how reasonable the price was for what you get as a member !!!

Enough talking now I have waffled a bit now but that's how much I love this site and Matt is a lovely man and a fabulous teacher,

Thanks Matt from the bottom of my heart xx :)

GMS 9810

Re: The Grid Method
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2014, 01:08:47 AM »
I was impressed with the grid method too. I'm trying my dog with it.

Alan Green

• +23/-2
    • View Profile
    • Rollmop Music
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2014, 05:54:42 AM »
I had a lesson with a local artist last year. She was pretty scathing about the grid method, saying it was really only useful for scaling up; but I've used it in a couple of exercises recently and it works fine.

Royz

• +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2014, 12:43:01 PM »
I haven't yet caught on to the trick of completely removing the grid lines from my sketch. I am putting them down as light as I can and erasing, but the grid is still tell tell-tale.

I had just finished a sketch and everything was put away, except the drawing, and my Grandson (an artist) came over. He looked at it and said "It looks real good Gramps, I never did try using a grid" Grrrrr.

After looking at the page real, yeah I could seed where the grid was.

How do you get by this?

Roy

Holt

• +6/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2014, 02:05:23 AM »
I love using the grid method as well; it really helps to keep my drawing in proportion.   Royz, I'm not sure this will help you, but, when I prepare my grid, I use a very sharp pointed 4 H or 6 H pencil, holding it almost to the top, this gives me the lightest touch ever, I barely want to see the lines on the page in this way your marks can be easier to erase.  I hope this helps.

jcunningham

• +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2014, 03:55:28 PM »
This post is in response to Royz question about leaving marks.  I have tried marking just the intersections, using the lightest touch possible with my lightest pencil. You can also draw your grid on tracing paper then hold the tracing paper over the photo and the new drawing.  This is more of a check after the fact, though.

Janice Cunningham

Royz

• +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2014, 12:05:30 AM »
Thanks, the harder very sharp pointed pencil helps...and holding the pencil at the top definitely helps!

Thanks you also Janice, I don't see how to mark just the intersections, but it sure would save a lot of erasing!

Roy

headhound

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2014, 01:55:54 PM »
Is there a video or some type of material that explains the grid method on the site?  I'd like to try drawing my beagle.  Some years ago, I took some lessons to paint one of my other pals, and the teacher had me use the grid method and then painted her in watercolor.  I drifted away from drawing/painting, but have regained interest in it again.  Have watched some of Matt's videoes and have really enjoyed them.  Glad I found his site.

Holt

• +6/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2014, 06:20:04 PM »
Is there a video or some type of material that explains the grid method on the site?  I'd like to try drawing my beagle.  Some years ago, I took some lessons to paint one of my other pals, and the teacher had me use the grid method and then painted her in watercolor.  I drifted away from drawing/painting, but have regained interest in it again.  Have watched some of Matt's videoes and have really enjoyed them.  Glad I found his site.

the grid method is located in Matt's lessons called

Maxifem

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
The Grid M
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2015, 09:24:00 PM »
Hi Steve been a long time actually the grid is a hidden from print status, so you would need to "copy" those lines into vectored  lines datas.
Johnny

Mrs Doodler

• +7/-0
  • student artist studying Matt's video courses :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2015, 10:25:11 AM »
Thanks, the harder very sharp pointed pencil helps...and holding the pencil at the top definitely helps!

Thanks you also Janice, I don't see how to mark just the intersections, but it sure would save a lot of erasing!

Roy
this was good advice I too used one of the h pencils and did it very light you only need enough so you can see the lines, its actually quite surprisingly on mine the lines disappeared a lot by them selves as I was working, I'm nearly finished the piece behind schedule as I've never thought been well lately but I cannot see any lines left on paper good luck  :)

The Grid M
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2015, 09:49:46 AM »
Ive got a lot of experience with this engine, and I still dont do it, its easier and it looks better as well to just make the houses face 0?, 90?, 180? or 270?