TheVirtualInstructor.com Forum

First oil pastel drawing - help, please!

isanbill

• +3/-0
    • View Profile
First oil pastel drawing - help, please!
« on: July 28, 2014, 05:27:34 AM »
Hi Matt,
After viewing your video "The Secret to Drawing - Oil Pastel", I wanted to try out this medium. I found a Cray-Pass Junior Artist set and decided to use them for the attached drawing. I also attached the reference picture to give you an idea on what I wanted to achieve.
I could not render the same hue on the colors. My drawing is very different from the colors on the picture. Is it just a question of practice? Are there any techniques or exercises I can use to get to the colors I see on the picture? Any help and suggestion would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Isabelle

Alan Green

• +23/-2
    • View Profile
    • Rollmop Music
Re: First oil pastel drawing - help, please!
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2014, 05:12:36 PM »
What I found, having bought a set of oil pastels about the same time you did, was that firstly you can build up layers of colour to make your objects look solid, and secondly you can use layers of (say) red over orange or yellow to give it a really rich tone without corrupting the colour on the pastel you're using.

I've attached my Day 16 sketch (which you might have seen on the 30-day challenge thread, I've certainly seen your drawing there) - you'll notice that the oranges are coloured with red and brown and cream (around the highlights) over the orange base colour which helps give them form. The lime also has two shades of green, with yellow and brown - the yellow and lighter green went down first and then the darker green and the brown went over the top. Finally I used a dark blue along the edge to give the shadow effect.

isanbill

• +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2014, 01:08:02 AM »
What I found, having bought a set of oil pastels about the same time you did, was that firstly you can build up layers of colour to make your objects look solid, and secondly you can use layers of (say) red over orange or yellow to give it a really rich tone without corrupting the colour on the pastel you're using.

I've attached my Day 16 sketch (which you might have seen on the 30-day challenge thread, I've certainly seen your drawing there) - you'll notice that the oranges are coloured with red and brown and cream (around the highlights) over the orange base colour which helps give them form. The lime also has two shades of green, with yellow and brown - the yellow and lighter green went down first and then the darker green and the brown went over the top. Finally I used a dark blue along the edge to give the shadow effect.

Thanks for your response. I guess I was too timid with the pastels. I'll try again.

yarickSt

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
First oil pastel drawing help p
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2015, 04:48:08 AM »
Good one My first pastel drawing was terrible... And as for chalk pastels, i personally prefer them to oil ones... Dont give up too quickly, they are really cool, maybe they are a bit harder than oil, but once you find your own way to use them and get the effect you want, youll love them

davetheman8

• +19/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2015, 09:40:54 PM »
Do the pascal that is on this web site