TheVirtualInstructor.com Forum

Colored pencil Hummingbird -- the grid method is great!

SkyRiverBlue

• +4/-0
    • View Profile
Colored pencil Hummingbird -- the grid method is great!
« on: July 21, 2014, 05:20:27 AM »
If you have never tried the grid method, give it a whirl. I have a hummingbird feeder on my window and a few days ago snapped a photo of this little guy. I decided to try out the grid method (from the colored pencil course) to help me break the photo into small bits, to focus on a section at a time. And wow! The grid method really works great! This is my third colored pencil drawing ever and I can't believe I actually did this.

Holt

• +6/-1
    • View Profile
Re: Colored pencil Hummingbird -- the grid method is great!
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 08:26:20 AM »
Great work on your Colored pencil drawing SkyRiverBlue, you have definitely made your hummer come to life thru the shimmery look of his feathers, to the vibrant colors you choose and that sweet sparkle well placed, very nice in fact! You show huge talent for being your 3rd colored pencil drawing. Keep it up!  the grid method is great... it's the way I came to join the Virtual Instructor  I signed up for his newsletter and received 3 sample tutorials and one of them was the the grid method.  I gave it a try and was so amazed that I could draw I sign up to his lessons that day.  I love all of them.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 08:50:52 PM by Holt »

Mrs Doodler

• +7/-0
  • student artist studying Matt's video courses :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2014, 05:28:34 PM »
If you have never tried the grid method, give it a whirl. I have a hummingbird feeder on my window and a few days ago snapped a photo of this little guy. I decided to try out the grid method (from the colored pencil course) to help me break the photo into small bits, to focus on a section at a time. And wow! The grid method really works great! This is my third colored pencil drawing ever and I can't believe I actually did this.
That's lovely, really nice colours and I have just started doing a drawing for my close friend of her 2 collie dogs & I decided to try the grid method too, from Matt's 'secrets to drawing course ' and its early days but I think it is a great way for exact proportions and not too overwhelming !!

Mtuke

• +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2014, 11:46:29 AM »
I've been thinking that I might indeed give the grid method a try, so this is very inspiring. And Mrs Doodler, when you finish your picture, do post it!

Mtuke

• +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2014, 11:53:13 AM »
I've been thinking that I might indeed give the grid method a try, so this is very inspiring. And Mrs Doodler, when you finish your picture, do post it!

Kdeutschmann

• +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2014, 03:50:08 PM »
Your hummingbird is awesome!   

Yes, I use the grid method as well for all my drawings.  However, I have used it only on white paper.  I plan on doing it on darker paper to do some more dog portraits. 

Did you do your drawing on white paper or a coloured paper?  I understand doing the grid method on coloured papers can sometimes show the original grid lines (eg. Erasing on coloured paper leaves coloured paper with streaks, etched).

Just curious?

Kirk

Alan Green

• +23/-2
    • View Profile
    • Rollmop Music
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2014, 04:55:35 PM »
I like it. The contrast between the detail in the bird and the blurred background works nicely.

Mrs Doodler

• +7/-0
  • student artist studying Matt's video courses :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2014, 05:11:20 PM »

Hi Mtuke, I will post it when its finished, the grid method was much better than I thought and sometimes in the past I had trouble with proportions, getting it exactly right.
It's early days with the drawing but it's going good so far :)
It's black and white using graphite, a 'HB' & '4b'. & possibly a '6b' for when I go back and darken the darkest value.

Elhenfr

• +4/-0
    • View Profile
    • My Flick Gallery
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2014, 02:26:49 PM »

The result is magnificent! Colors are wonderful!

brjonessr

• +16/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2014, 01:33:42 AM »
Excellent!

DeathOfTheSoul

• +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2014, 11:51:53 AM »
I too use the grid method, I draw from pictures off my tablet and I discovered a grid app I can place over a picture. I was so  happy to discover this app.

Holt

• +6/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2014, 11:21:24 PM »
I too use the grid method, I draw from pictures off my tablet and I discovered a grid app I can place over a picture. I was so  happy to discover this app.

Can you please share the app link with us?

DeathOfTheSoul

• +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2014, 12:32:00 PM »
For android in the app market its call Grid Drawing Assistance , sorry I don't know how to post links.

kacelyn88

• +2/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2014, 09:47:27 AM »
Beautiful... I love the colors..

Royz

• +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2014, 09:16:53 PM »
You've done a fantastic job on the hummingbird. I really like the pose of the bird and the flow of the colors.

Keep em coming!

Roy