TheVirtualInstructor.com Forum

Some of my Charcoal Artwork + Advice

noahnaugle

• +2/-0
    • View Profile
Some of my Charcoal Artwork + Advice
« on: July 14, 2014, 09:13:46 PM »
     Hi, I'm new to the website. I thought I'd share my 2nd and 3rd charcoal drawing I did during school this past year. The first picture is "Look Into My Soul". It took about 4 months to make using black and white charcoal pencils, with blending sticks and a kneaded eraser. The second picture is "Weathered". It took around 3ish months to complete. I learned that in the beginning of my Jr. year in High school I wanted to try to master a medium, so I took on charcoal as my challenge. And I developed my own technique as I learned how the medium works on the paper (using toned charcoal paper 19x25"). I encourage any young artists like me (A senior in High school now) to go beyond your comfort zone. Try things you never thought you could achieve because you never know if you truly can until you start. My first charcoal I ever did was not nearly as good as my second. However, practice makes perfect, and I knew I had to try harder and expand, and focus more. I live off a quote that I hope other artists can think of when they work on art-"Stay focused, go after your dreams, and don't give up". I never knew I would be so good with charcoal until I made an effort to achieve the unimaginable.  And by trying harder you will be rewarded, I received many awards with both these art pieces in regional and state competitions. I hope this bit of advice will inspire young inexperienced artists to rethink what your hand and eye can draw. Thanks and have fun drawing!

Holt

• +6/-1
    • View Profile
Re: Some of my Charcoal Artwork + Advice
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2014, 11:13:15 PM »
Wow! beautiful work such detail ... and very encouraging to those of us just starting out even if were not that young, :)  ;) thank you for the advice and for sharing.

SkyRiverBlue

• +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 05:25:55 AM »
This works is so inspiring and so deep. Thanks for sharing it, and the quote. Thanks too for sharing about the time you took to do these. It's a nice reminder to relax, slow down, and realize that creating a piece of art is as much about the joy in the process as it is the end result.

Rachelhere

• +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2014, 06:07:34 PM »
wow,so great!

Mrs Doodler

• +7/-0
  • student artist studying Matt's video courses :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2014, 05:38:23 PM »
Wow, wow, wow !!!!!
These are awesome, nice job :).
I have not worked with charcoal much yet but I want too, I am doing Matt's 'secrets to drawing course' and it includes working with charcoal & I'm really looking forward  to having a go at charcoal.
 :) :)

Mtuke

• +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2014, 11:40:17 AM »
These drawings are really impressive, and are examples of how you can get so much out of a medium and really take it to its limits. I didn't think you'd be able to get results like this out of charcoal! Very inspiring words, too. I have spent all my life up until a few weeks ago never thinking I could do any more than stick figures, but I now concede that yes, you can learn to draw! I am a living proof of Matt's philosophy. Thank you for sharing, and thank you Matt!

jodebode

• +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2014, 03:37:50 AM »
I am blown away at the detail....I just started sketching a couple weeks ago, and my charcoal sketches look like a caveman drawing compared to the detail you have obviously mastered with charcoal. These two images deserved the awards you received. Very inspirational. Stunning work. Your future in art appears limitless to me.

Anjels

• +0/-0
  • A complete Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2014, 07:45:20 AM »
Just WOW !

Jsirkis

• +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2014, 02:23:29 AM »
Wow! These are amazing! How did you create such fine hair? I would love to see your technique. Congrats on fine work.

kacelyn88

• +2/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2014, 01:05:49 AM »
These are positively beautiful! I love the detail and the passion you put into both!

DebbieW

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2014, 03:54:48 PM »
Noah, awesome work. I realize you're working with charcoal in pencil form and in fairly large scale (at least, to me--I work 8.5"x11" or smaller with most mediums and up to twice that with charcoal). I have trouble getting detail with charcoal to stay detailed due to smudging. Now you have me intrigued by what can be done with it. Any tips for getting that level of detail?

Wind Dancer

• +3/-0
  • "I am easily satisfied with the very best."
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2014, 02:13:48 PM »
Excellent use of the medium, Noah! Your subtle changes of value are just awesome! Your advice is spot on and you most certainly deserve every award you receive! Waiting to see more of your work and I'll tell you, I don't mind the wait!!!!

dj1304

• +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2014, 10:10:15 PM »
Beautiful!  I started out doing charcoal portraits as well (though at a considerably older age-I'm an oncology pharmacist and use art as an outlet, I've always been interested but simply haven't had the time).  You have a lot of patience and it really shows.  Keep following your passion!  I look forward to seeing your other work.