TheVirtualInstructor.com Forum

Drawing surface

Greor

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
Drawing surface
« on: June 27, 2014, 09:23:43 PM »
Hi All,

I am relatively new to drawing and art in general after being told at school I had no artistic ability ;D.
I have been really enjoying the Secrets to Drawing and colour pencil course. But I am finding that drawing (Graphite and Colour) in my sketch pads is generally marking the page below and I am having trouble getting the values right and sometimes this seems to affect blending as well.

I have been considering getting a smooth piece of MDF or ply and attaching my paper directly to the board to do finished drawings and leaving the sketch pads just for sketching. Is this something worth doing?

• Matt
  • +14/-1
  • I draw.
    • View Profile
    • TheVirtualInstructor.com
Re: Drawing surface
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2014, 08:57:55 PM »
Hi Greor,

The surface under the paper will definitely impact the marks that are made. Sometimes working in a sketchbook can make it a bit more difficult to get darker values.  Not sure if that's the issue or not.

Also, if smearing is occurring, you can place a piece of paper under your hand, so that the oils in your palm do not mix with the graphite.

Why not try different configurations when you draw and find what works best for you?

Thanks,
Matt