TheVirtualInstructor.com Forum

3-point perspective & direction

isanbill

• +3/-0
    • View Profile
3-point perspective & direction
« on: June 24, 2014, 03:39:57 AM »
I am a newbie here and to drawing. I am following the graphite drawing lessons and liking what I saw so far. As I view the videos, I try to reproduce your drawings. I have 2 questions on the 3-point perspective lesson:
1) Somehow, my first form went in the opposite direction compared to yours, on the video. How would that happens?
I am a lefty and this will happen most of the time: things get transposed somehow.
2) On the second and subsequent forms, how do I decide where the top of the form ends? Do I need to align with the first form lines to draw the second one to the vanishing point?
I attached my first attempt. Hopefully that will help.

• Matt
  • +14/-1
  • I draw.
    • View Profile
    • TheVirtualInstructor.com
Re: 3-point perspective & direction
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2014, 08:52:39 PM »
Hi Isanbill,

Most everything looks pretty good here.  There are a couple of areas in which the drawing can be improved.

1. You moved away from drawing the lines to the vanishing point in a couple of areas.  I drew a few lines on your drawing and pointed these areas out. 

2. You also placed the second vanishing point just under the horizon line. This creates a bit of distortion.

3. The horizon line is really your viewer's point of view.  If the top of the box is above the horizon line (point of view), you will not see the top.

I hope this helps.  (I've been away for a few days - sorry my response is late.)

Matt