TheVirtualInstructor.com Forum

A Falcon

gms9810

• +19/-1
    • View Profile
    • My site (one of them anyway)
A Falcon
« on: March 07, 2017, 12:34:08 AM »
I drew this today in my spare time. I'm going to paint it but I, being a graphite guy, just had to draw it too.

Sumana Huong

• +5/-0
    • View Profile
Re: A Falcon
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2017, 07:33:48 AM »
that's very beautiful drawing. I have to practice much much more to be able be that good at graphite. I like graphite too.

Alan Green

• +23/-2
    • View Profile
    • Rollmop Music
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2017, 08:33:12 PM »
It's good. I'm not good with feathers; maybe I need to draw more birds

P55

• +14/-0
  • Linda
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2017, 09:26:13 PM »
Very nice falcon, I hope you post the painting too!

gms9810

• +19/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2017, 07:28:47 AM »
Very nice falcon, I hope you post the painting too!
Unless it's lousy I will, paint is definitely NOT my strong point, I need to do it a lot more.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 07:56:18 AM by gms9810 »

gms9810

• +19/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2017, 07:50:17 AM »
that's very beautiful drawing. I have to practice much much more to be able be that good at graphite. I like graphite too.
I never considered myself good at any art media except digital. Anybody who has been here for a while can tell you that I've always ripped my own drawing apart, usually literally. I've become a lot more confident over time. Recently my wife, who is MUCH better than I am has convinced me to take the 10 or 12 of my really good ones and frame and hang them up.
Matt is a very good teacher, but having said that, we have to do some self teaching. I think the biggest thing is that we need to really learn observation, the most minute details. We also have to learn to be comfortable, really comfortable with the pencils. I find that any time there is a pencil in sight my fingers start to move around (seriously) and I just have to look for scrap paper to draw on.
I was in a store last year looking at something and thinking how I would draw it. A little old lady started giving me a look like she had decided to run. I followed her eyes and realized that my hand was jerking around, invisible pencil in my hand. I didn't care.
One more thing that caused me trouble at first, and you may be past this stage, was when I'd buy entire sets of pencils. The options were overwhelming. Now I have it reduced down to a 4H, 2H, 2B, 4B, 6B, and on rare occasions an 8B. A professional, his last name was Hillberry, recommended that I by a  9XXB. I've never  used it. I've tried several brands and found that I like Generals the best [and yeah, Matt's 555 layout] and in my experience Royal Langnickels are the worst.
Sorry for the babble. If I can draw, anybody can.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 07:56:49 AM by gms9810 »

gms9810

• +19/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2017, 07:55:23 AM »
It's good. I'm not good with feathers; maybe I need to draw more birds
I'm that way with faces. As much as I dislike drawing them [because I'm terrible at them], I need to draw them continuously for a month or two.
I don't know why but if I draw hot and heavy for a month or so then just stop for another month or so and start again there is a definite improvement in my drawing quality. I don't know if that's common or not.

gms9810

• +19/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2017, 12:11:51 AM »
The acrylic version. I have another falcon that I plan to try in oils.

Sumana Huong

• +5/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2017, 07:15:32 AM »
Thanks Gms For your encouragement and advice on types of pencils. I bought  Staedtler pencils. i have just bought them recently. I saw Generals in the Shop when I bought Staedlers but I didn't choose them because they did not sell lGenerals individual pencils. so I bought Staedtler. i'll try Generals somedays as you said it 's very good  ;D

and you new acrylic painting the falcon is very beautiful !

Daniel Y

• +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2017, 01:56:25 PM »
Hello GMS, I really like your falcon. I also only use 5 pencils for the most part. resorting to a 9B when necessary. Mine are 4H, 2H, HB, 2B and 4B. I can see in your falcon reasons you may not be as happy with your portraits of people. I also think it may require a slightly different style and use of the pencils. But possibly a different selection of brands of pencils. I like Faber Castell 9000's above all others. although Staedtler are also very good. Brand of pencil I find is not nearly as important as how you layer them. You falcon shows a typical graininess that I find nearly completely unacceptable in my work. I will in fact reject a brand of pencil for being excessively grainy even in the softer grades. I also do highly realistic portraits so graininess will not work. this reduction of grain is more a matter of technique than pencil quality. I use a progression that goes something like this. I prep the paper with 4H. as far as I am concerned paper does not come ready made to accept graphite. I then progress to 2H. I return to 4H to blend that in. I then deepen shadows with HB. again returning to 4H to blend. In this way I have little need for any other method of blending. I never use stumps for example. Layer upon layer and you end up with a very soft even no seam graduation in tones. Just a suggestion that if you experiment with the use of pencils. you may stumble upon some effects that cause you to like your portraits more. Soft patient application of the various grades. It takes time but has a wonderful smooth effect. Of course I also hope to start producing portraits much faster and with much more of a style you demonstrate here. So good is a relative thing.

melhenline

• +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2017, 10:13:03 AM »
Very nice I have never painted before they are both great but your drawing I really like just wanted had to add my 2 cents