TheVirtualInstructor.com Forum

Coloured Pencil Course

Genie

• +2/-0
  • I teach
    • View Profile
Coloured Pencil Course
« on: May 12, 2014, 07:41:53 PM »
I am sure I am not the only one keeping a close eye on this one, so I thought I'd start a thread for it.

I have a question for you Matt:  You used turpenoid in  video three, to create a kind-of 'underpainting' for the piece.  Would this be the medium you'd recommend for all brands of coloured pencil, or would another medium work better for oil based pencils, such as polychromos?

SkyRiverBlue

• +4/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Coloured Pencil Course
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2014, 05:48:14 AM »
I can highly recommend Bestine for wax-based pencils. Plus, it's great to just have around the house for other things, like removing sticky labels, cleaning wax from non-porous surfaces, etc. it's kinda like the duct tape of solvents.

• Matt
  • +15/-1
  • I draw.
    • View Profile
    • TheVirtualInstructor.com
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2014, 11:50:36 PM »
Hi Genie,

I use Turpenoid for the oil-based pencils as well as the wax pencils.  It dries quickly, has a low odor and gets the job done.  I hope this helps.  By the way, the next module (module 4), I used oil-based pencils.  I should have it up by the end of the week.

Thanks,
Matt

Genie

• +2/-0
  • I teach
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2014, 08:32:53 AM »
Thanks Matt.  I was keeping an eye open for lesson 4 all week :) And thanks for using the polychromos pencils in this one.  I've had to buy an extra walnut brown.  It's becoming one of my favourite go-to pencils.

I would like to do the peppers in lesson three, but using polychromos.  Is there anything I should bear in mind, as the pencils behave differently?

• Matt
  • +15/-1
  • I draw.
    • View Profile
    • TheVirtualInstructor.com
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2014, 12:47:00 PM »
Hi Genie,

The oil based pencils will burnish less with subsequent applications of pencil.  So burnishing occurs, but to a much lesser degree.  I would approach the peppers by burnishing with the Turpenoid with each layer.  So instead of using a colorless blender, white, or cream - just use the Turpenoid. It should produce similar results.

Thanks,
Matt

Genie

• +2/-0
  • I teach
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2014, 01:23:57 PM »
That's interesting.  Thanks Matt!  I shall give it a go and get back to you.  I'm awaiting my turpenoid to turn up in the post, then I'll get stuck in.