Drawing figures in a scene

Iluvcolour

• +0/-0
  • I love colour
    • View Profile
    • Allthingsnoni
Drawing figures in a scene
« on: December 26, 2016, 07:04:58 AM »
Hi all - I am just wondering if Matt has done a tutorial on how to draw those little figures you see in paintings - like someone walking along a street etc.  You know they are people but they are just little wiggles and lines.  When I try, mine look rubbish.  Like in the painting shown here.  I can't get mine not to look amateurish.

Alan Green

• +23/-2
    • View Profile
    • Rollmop Music
Re: Drawing figures in a scene
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2016, 08:41:14 AM »
To be honest, there is very little that is wrong; I look at your picture and think "people scene". Maybe we don't actually need a tutorial.

My only comment is that towards the sides of your painting the people's heads follow a perspective line when they should follow the horizon - it is their feet that should follow perspective lines.

So - men are generally taller than women, so draw all your men's heads with their eye levels on the horizon because that's how you will observe them. Women, being shorter, can uniformly have their heads (say) half a head-space lower than the men but again, mostly in a straight line across. Add in small children sparingly and for effect only. Then follow your normal perspective rules - everybody's feet will be on a perspective line heading towards the vanishing point.

Iluvcolour

• +0/-0
  • I love colour
    • View Profile
    • Allthingsnoni
Re: Drawing figures in a scene
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2017, 03:48:44 AM »
Thanks Alan.  I really appreciate your advice and the time you took to post it.  The painting I put up was  someone else's which I took off the net which I used as an example of the type of figures I was referring to.  When I reread my post it did sound like it was my painting.  Sorry.  Nevertheless, great advice which I hadn't heard before.