TheVirtualInstructor.com Forum

Colored Pencil Drawing Turning White

gabby1546

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« on: July 29, 2012, 02:00:48 AM »
I completed a colored pencil drawing a couple years ago and now it has a layer of white on it.  The white isn't very strong and I can wipe it off of the surface.  It's almost like powder.  Any idea what may be causing this?  Is there anyway I can prevent this from happening?

bob1298

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Colored Pencil Drawing Turning White
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2012, 06:46:18 PM »
Wax bloom is a white haze that appears on colored pencil drawings, especially when heavily worked, as a layer of the wax medium rises to the surface. It tends to appear once the work has been sitting for a week or two. To prevent wax bloom, give the drawing a couple of layers of fixative. You may need to wipe off any existing bloom first, if the drawing has taken some time to do.
To remove wax bloom, wipe the surface gently with wad of cotton wool, checking frequently to ensure that you are not moving any pigment. A tissue also works, though can be slightly abrasive. Hope this helps

gabby1546

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2012, 11:49:44 PM »
Thanks Bob.  That was really helpful! 

bob1298

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2012, 10:35:46 PM »
Gabby you are quite welcome. I don't do a lot of colored pencil anymore but I ran into the same problem. Also on my posting of "Lilly" I tried to answer your question on "how did I get it so smooth with mech. pencil. Always glad to be helpful when I can. A whole lot of people have helped me. Good drawing...Bob

craftyaj

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2014, 04:19:20 PM »
This will happen with wax based colored pencils.  Oil based pencils, like Polychromos or Pablos won't do this.

Alan Green

• +23/-2
    • View Profile
    • Rollmop Music
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2014, 07:53:41 PM »
I've just started experimenting with water-soluble coloured pencils, so all this is useful to know.

yarickSt

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
Colored Pencil Drawing Turning
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2015, 01:36:35 PM »
I bought Faber-Castell Artists Quality Oil Base Colored Pencils, and started a drawing on a black canvas.  My first time using these pencils and any canvas.  When I completed the first layer I sprayed with workable fixative, and the picture darkened dramatically.
What do you use to seal this kind of pencil on canvas and not destroy the picture?
Ang

WanWonk

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2015, 05:24:49 AM »
Caran dAche Grafwood for sketching and drawing, otherwise Rotring 600 mechanical pencil.

Colored Pencil Drawing Turning
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2015, 06:11:30 PM »
Pencil drawing is one of the oldest artworks created by some of the famous artists such as JD Hillberry, Brian Duey, T. S. Abe, Cesar Del Valle, Henrik, and Linda Huber.