TheVirtualInstructor.com Forum

A Leaf

gms9810

• +19/-1
    • View Profile
    • My site (one of them anyway)
A Leaf
« on: October 30, 2016, 11:33:56 PM »
It was a perfect day so we went to the park to draw. I don't understand why I do my best drawing when I'm not trying, just passing time. I'm kind of happy ith this, my wife wants to frame it.

Alan Green

• +23/-2
    • View Profile
    • Rollmop Music
Re: A Leaf
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2016, 06:19:46 AM »
I find also that good results come when I'm trying to enjoy rather than create - it's the same in music.

It's a good drawing - lots of contrasts at the edges - and I think your Mrs is right; frame it and put it on the wall.

Tracey

• +5/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2016, 11:55:37 AM »
Well done - it looks great and it will remind you of a lovely day every time you look at it.

Mrs Doodler

• +7/-0
  • student artist studying Matt's video courses :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2017, 03:46:42 PM »
 :) wow that's really good, really realistic, looks a leaf is actually sitting on your paper, yh you should frame it  :)
I think I'm going to adopt that approach this year, try and relax when I'm sketching or drawing  :)

Daniel Y

• +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2017, 02:14:12 PM »
I hate to be the one to tell you. But somebody left a leaf on your drawing pad. Some people just have no respect for the studio. Seriously. It is always surprising to me what people like in the way of art. "Look I did an exact recreation of the last supper" Then they are like. Yeah that's nice but wow the frame you used is amazing. This one if funny but it also actually happened. Honey I want to do highly realistic portraits of us all your kids and all our grandkids. Her reply. Are you going to do drawings of the dogs also? Guess which drawing I am actually working on. I think best work comes form the strangest places. mainly because if you think about it. we usually exist in strange places.

Humburger

• +9/-0
  • Nature is God's art. -- Dante
    • View Profile
    • Virginia C. McCoy Fine Art
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2017, 03:23:43 AM »
Very nice leaf.  :)  It is a good beginning, but I believe you can push the values quite a bit and it will suddenly pop and come to life.  If you try it, please show us.  :-)

Daniel Y

• +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2017, 01:40:09 PM »
I agree with Hamburger. this leaf has some potential to let you discover some of the power and magic of contrast. But I might suggest that you make ppints of it and then play around with making various areas darker. I say work over prints because you can go overboard with applying contrast. but once you start to find that sweet spot where the magic happens. Oh man what a experience. Just play around with every dark area in the leaf. seeing what happens as you darken them just slightly. I think the leaf will simply pop off the paper if you darken that shadow under it right at the edge of the leaf just a touch.  Then play around with the other shadowed areas until you start to see that same pop appear in them. when you do you are pretty much done. To push it further can and often will loose the effect. Just as you can end up just short of it as well.