TheVirtualInstructor.com Forum

Colored Pencil Sharpeners?

Kyle

• +1/-0
  • The Eye Is Watching
    • View Profile
Colored Pencil Sharpeners?
« on: April 15, 2014, 12:45:46 AM »
What brand of colored pencil sharpeners do you suggest using? I've been using a Staedtler hand-held metal sharpener, but the pencils seem to break. However i am not using Prismacolor pencils. Is there a certain brand or method i should be using? Thanks  :)

Genie

• +1/-0
  • I teach
    • View Profile
Re: Colored Pencil Sharpeners?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2014, 06:17:58 PM »
I use this one for all my pencils.  I love it and the tub means I can sharpen on the go without making a mess.  I have a little metal one, also by prismacolor, which came as part of a set.  It also works quite well.

Kyle

• +1/-0
  • The Eye Is Watching
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2014, 01:03:15 AM »
I thought about buying that one, but people were complaining about it filling up too quickly. i recently bought the prismacolor 12 pencil set but havent used this sharpener on them yet. I'm hoping it was just the colored pencils i was using

Genie

• +1/-0
  • I teach
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2014, 11:36:09 AM »
Well, if the worst you have to do is empty it frequently...  I've not had any problems with this one and it has sharpened all my pencils just fine.  So has the Faber Castell version, of which I bought two for the classroom (my kids are always complaining about shoddy pencil sharpeners).

SkyRiverBlue

• +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2014, 05:50:26 AM »
Hi Kyle,

I use a generic metal sharpener encased in a plastic case to catch the shavings. A couple of tips: When sharpening, turn the sharpener instead of the pencil (that's easier on the pencil), and if you have a two-hole sharpener, use the larger hole. You'll have to sharpen more often, but the tips won't break off as easily.

Kyle

• +1/-0
  • The Eye Is Watching
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2014, 12:11:31 AM »
Thank you for the tips SkyRiverBlue.

Royz

• +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2014, 05:35:08 PM »
I using the single prismacolor sharpener, I take off the end that catches the shavings and work over a container, this way I can keep an eye on the edge of the point. When rotating the sharpener, I don't put any force on try to feed the sharpener into the pencil. I also bought the two hole prismacolor sharpener, but I haven't tried it yet.

Roy

GMS 9810

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2014, 12:50:34 AM »
I like Alvins: [it won't let me post a link to it] I researched it quite a bit. This one doesn't break the leads very often.

ThomasBus

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
    • Освещение
Colored Pencil Sharpe
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2015, 04:21:00 PM »
Thanks Robin Z and Jeff.  Having only three colors boggles my mind at the moment so Ill have to get a few more than that  LOL  So Robin you mean you use regular pencil sharpeners that sharpen regular pencils?

samrMa

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
    • ntcn
Colored Pencil Sharpeners
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2015, 08:22:12 AM »
"You are lying. This can not be a colored pencil drawing." said XpP with envy .

Amazing job. Can you give as some close-ups?

Gelka

• +0/-0
  • It's just me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2015, 12:29:47 PM »
Paper choice is such a personal one for each artist, it sort of depends on how you like to work. I use a couple of different papers, Bristol Smooth when I do pen work first, or Stonehenge if it is just colored pencil. But I am not sure if you can get Stonehenge in Great Britain, it is an American made paper. Stonehenge takes/needs lots of layers, and the Bristol Smooth will only take a couple. You can try Hot Press Watercolor paper as a substitute for the Stonehenge.

As for pencils, I have Polychromos and several sets of Derwent pencils, the Derwent are all waxed based and I am finding I like to put down a layer of wax color first then add a layer of the Polys over. The Polychromos by themselves just seem flat to me, but others love them so, you will really just have to try then for yourself.

I was given some Luminance for Christmas, and I think I am in love, the budget may not like me but I want more of these, 16 colors isnt enough

As for pencil sharpeners I use an old fashioned hand crank one and it works for me.

RandyZV

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2015, 05:09:13 AM »
hi all
i do pet portraits in colored pencil
look at my website voor examples
the example here is an aceo 2,5x3,5 inch
greets