TheVirtualInstructor.com Forum

Help Me! My Art.

LuciDeSalles

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
Help Me! My Art.
« on: March 22, 2014, 03:54:41 PM »
Hey Mr.Matt,
I am new at the website. I am loving it! I Really want to improve my drawing. I have a passion for art, and I want my ability to be at least as big as mt passion, so I have a long way to go still! But I need your help, and the help of all the others that have the same desire of learning.
 Those are a few of my drawings, the hand with the flower is called "Sharing Life" is my most recent one, I used graphite, color pencil and soft pastels. The others I used archival ink, oil pastels and color pencil. (some will be in a next post)
 When I look to the other works in this forum I think to myself "what am I doing here!" because you all are sooooo goood! Each work is so beautiful! And I want, need your help to have my works in the same level.

God bless you! Very grateful,
Luciana

• Matt
  • +15/-1
  • I draw.
    • View Profile
    • TheVirtualInstructor.com
Re: Help Me! My Art.
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2014, 02:41:46 AM »
Hi Luciana,

Welcome!  Sorry it's taken me a few days to get to your work.  I love the work that you've shared.  Really like the apples! 

I like the patterns that you've added in your backgrounds too. 

I think what might benefit you is approaching drawing with a looser approach.  Work on drawing from your shoulder, instead of your wrist.  To help with this, you may try working on larger paper with a looser medium like charcoal.  Make lots of marks and practice on making the mark work for you.  (Let some of the marks be light and others more defined and dark)

Set up a few objects lying around and draw them from observation.  Concentrate on the shapes and values that you see instead of the lines. 

The reason why I think that these practices will help you is because the oil pastel drawing of the apple forced you to be looser and with oil pastels, you have to focus on the shapes and values.  I think this drawing is one of the strongest that you shared.  I think that you'll see quick improvement in your drawing if you work on these two things.

1. Draw looser
2. Focus on observational drawing - looking for the shapes and values instead of the lines.

I hope this helps, and I'd love to see more as your drawing develops.

Thanks,
Matt