TheVirtualInstructor.com Forum

Brands

Genie

• +1/-0
  • I teach
    • View Profile
Brands
« on: February 16, 2014, 04:59:20 PM »
When I was last in the US I bought myself a small set of prismacolor premier pencils.  While I liked the way the colour went down on the page, I found the leads broke too easily and the quality was not what I had expected.  Has anyone else experienced this?

Now I know that a lot of coloured pencil artists who post online seem to prefer them, but I have switched to Faber Castells polychromos and now have the complete set.  I love them, but they do look different on the page.

Has anyone else used these pencils?  If not, what do you use?

• Matt
  • +15/-1
  • I draw.
    • View Profile
    • TheVirtualInstructor.com
Re: Brands
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 02:27:57 AM »
Hi Genie,

I have always been a Prismacolor fan.  Yep, the leads do break easy and it's so frustrating when they do.  I also have the Polychromos pencils.  A member turned me on to them.  I love them too!  The lead is definitely stronger and the mark is definitely different.  I find myself going to the Prismacolor pencils more often because of familiarly - but Polychromos pencils are great.  I have tutorials using both brands...

http://thevirtualinstructor.com/blog/colored-pencil-product-review-prismacolor-premier
http://thevirtualinstructor.com/polychromos-colored-pencils-tutorial.html

-Matt

Genie

• +1/-0
  • I teach
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2014, 05:38:04 PM »
Thanks Matt, for the response.  I didn't realise some of your coloured pencil tutorials were in Polychromos.  I do find the Prismacolor are lovely, but frustrating.  I use their own brand sharpener and loose half a pencil at a time, the leads just keep breaking.

I see you're working on a new course in the use of coloured pencils.  I know this a relatively new and growing medium so I'm looking forward to learning more.

Thanks again,

- Christina

craftyaj

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014, 04:15:36 PM »
I have read that since Prismacolor started producing the pencils in Mexico, the quality has suffered.  People are having BIG problems with the lead being broken inside (so nearly impossible to sharpen) or even sliding out of the pencil, also some are not centered in the wood.  I tossed all I had that were labeled Mexico and guard the USA labeled pencils.

I switched to Polychromos and am very pleased with them as well as the few Derwent Artists and the Caran D'Ache Pablos I have managed to get my hands on.  Have not been able to test the Derwent Coloursoft or the Caran D'Ache Luminance yet however - both I believe are wax based and perhaps more like the Prismas in layering consistency.  Polychromos and Pablos are oil based, not was based.

Kate M

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2016, 09:22:56 PM »
I recently bought Prismacolor Premier pencils also-and I love them (and will even moreso when I actually learn how to use them!)  A friend warned me that due to their softness, the core can break.  She instructed me to place the broken pencil in a 200 degree or so oven for a few minutes - up to 5, or on a heating pad.  I guess it melts the core together again.  Then let cool before using.  I haven'tt yet had to do this, though!  (Apparently one should not use a microwave for this.)

I hope this is helpful info!

Kate

Carcosa

• +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2016, 03:26:15 AM »
I recently dropped two of my Prismacolor pencils on the floor while I was drawing (they rolled off the table onto a hardwood floor) I hope the cores didn't shatter.

Tracey

• +5/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2016, 10:17:08 PM »
I have polychromos and bought them after reading reviews on both brands - as they are so expensive in Australia I didn't want to risk the prismacolor. Just out of interest - has anyone used the Rembrandt polycolour? I would be interested in what people think of them. I bought a couple to supplement my range as they have some beautiful colours and they seem beautiful to use - very smooth although I haven't had a chance to layer much with them. What does everyone think?

bill hansen

• +2/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2016, 01:14:37 PM »
For What it's worth - I'm a newcomer too, for the past 4-5 months. I have a small selection of Faber Castell, and a larger selection of Prismacolor. I like them both. Because Matt's tutorials (the ones I've seen) use Prismacolor, I have used them quite a bit - enough to use up several of the colors from my Prismacolor box (reordered from Blick, since the only local Hobby store doesn't carry out-of stock singles). My luck with Prismacolor has been excellent, in terms of the pencils themselves. I've had only two of the pencil points break, one of them twice. I've had none of the shafts shatter. They've been easy to sharpen.