TheVirtualInstructor.com Forum

Colored pencil help and techniques

Janet

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
Colored pencil help and techniques
« on: February 13, 2014, 08:51:33 PM »
:-\ I just started my first colored pencil drawing of a Golden Retriever, and am a little stumped on just HOW to define the light, medium and dark hair without using a black pencil....UGH!!! There is a LOT of light hair/fur on this dog. Any and all responses and help is greatly appreciated.

Kelley

• +2/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Colored pencil help and techniques
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 02:51:30 AM »
I have barely any experience with colored pencils, but if there is one thing I've learned from Matt, use black VERY SPARINGLY. As I look at your subject, there;s not a black hair on his coat. Even the shadows of his coat contain no plack whatsoever, so your pencil pallet for his hair would not contain bliack, either. Matt reminds us in his tutorials that we must disciplin ourselves to draw what we see and not what we think we should be seeing. Keeping to that instruction alone should help you immensely as you move forward. I am eager to see your work when it's completed!  :D

Janet

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2014, 06:24:21 PM »
 :-\ I know, right? I'm working on it slow but surely...well, slow anyway...Thanks Kelly!!!

• Matt
  • +14/-1
  • I draw.
    • View Profile
    • TheVirtualInstructor.com
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2014, 09:39:43 PM »
Hi Janet,

I attached an image that may help out a bit.  There are quite a bit of dark tones in the reference.  Many of those values can be accomplished with dark brown or umber instead of blacks - or even any blues.  This is clear when you compare the really dark areas around the mouth and the eyes with the darkest values in the fur.  The areas around the eyes and mouth should be mixed with brown and blue, the fur is a darker value but still dominated by brown.  Another thing to look at is the actual value - or darkness or lightness.  I attached a photo of "Smokey" with any color.  This can help you compare the value of the darkest areas of fur to the very dark areas around the eyes and mouth.  I hope this helps out.

- Matt

Janet

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2014, 02:24:47 AM »
Thank you Matt. I'm good so far with the eyes, nose, dark areas under the nose and the dark part of the mouth..it's the fur I'm having a bit of trouble with. Thank you for the pic and advice on the fur coloring. I'm going to give it a whirl tomorrow.