TheVirtualInstructor.com Forum

How to store drawings with graphite pencils?

Videowoman

• +0/-0
  • Don't worry, be HAPPY!
    • View Profile
How to store drawings with graphite pencils?
« on: November 05, 2017, 07:23:49 PM »
Hello Everyone,
My name is Henrice Kupper and I live in the Netherlands. I have made many paintings with beewax in the past and now I want to learn to draw better with graphite pencils. I love to be creative and I draw every day to get better. I love the courses and learn a lot. And of course I have some beginner questions: What is the best way to store my drawings? I have several sketchbooks where I cannot tear off the pages but I  also use the Strathmore Bristol sketchbook. Its an A4 format.
Do I tear off the page before I start a new drawing or do I leave it in the sketchbook? What is the best way to avoid damage to the drawings?
When I tear off the new page and the drawing is ready what is the best way to store? in a binder inside a plastic foil?
How do you store your art?

izzychase

• +4/-0
    • View Profile
Re: How to store drawings with graphite pencils?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2017, 08:43:06 PM »
Hi Videowoman,

I can't promise this is the best way, but it is what I do.  My sketchbooks, I leave everything I do in the sketchbook.  I tend to have my sketchbook and a couple pencils on me at all times.  I like to flip back trough the pages often looking at things I have sketched, so If I removed pages it would be counterproductive.

When it comes to finished works, I remove them from the pad.  I have an old clothing dresser that is dedicated to my art supplies and smaller (A4 sized) finished works.  I always place them with a clean piece of paper between pieces.  I try not to stack them more than a few deep.  I give most of my pieces away when I am done, so I tend to not stockpile allot in that size range, but the ones I keep stay in nice condition.  If I am really proud of something, I have a portfolio book to keep them protected.

Storage is an interesting question.  I would actually love to hear what other people are doing!  Thanks for asking.

Izzy

Humburger

• +8/-0
  • Nature is God's art. -- Dante
    • View Profile
    • Virginia C. McCoy Fine Art
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2017, 09:43:14 PM »
It depends on whether it is practice sketches or finished portraits.  Sketches, I leave in the sketchbook or put them all together in a big plastic zippy envelope.  Finished portraits, I spray with uv protectant matte fixative and store them in a large, acid free portfolio book.  Pastel paintings, I had to make a very large cardboard portfolio and I wrap them so that they are not able to rub on anything and store them in that portfolio.  I have not gotten the gumption to spray them, yet.

Humburger

• +8/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2017, 12:49:46 PM »
Another thing that I would suggest that everyone do, if possible, is to store your art digitally.  Meaning, keep a digital record.  I take quick pictures of my stuff, but when I get time I take it to my local print shop and they scan it in and I have a nice big digital file.  I then put that file on a dedicated external hard drive and our computer hard drive.  After all that is done, I put the originals in their respective storage and I use the digital file for posting online or getting prints made.  I am thinking of making greeting cards with my paintings.  But that's another post...

Videowoman

• +0/-0
  • Don't worry, be HAPPY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2017, 03:47:20 PM »
Thank you Izzy and Humburger. Your answers are helpfull to me. I always take pictures of my art work. It's very usefull too when you want to sell your work on the internet. @Humburger Do you have a name of the mark of the uv protectant matte fixative you use?

Humburger

• +8/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2017, 12:59:54 AM »
The fixative that I use is Krylon.  I'm sure there are others that are just as good, perhaps better.  I don't have the time, money, or nerve to test them all.  😎

izzychase

• +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2017, 07:47:57 AM »
On the subject of storage...  I don't know if anyone has ever looked into a "flat file" for all of your large format paper/canvas and finished works, but they are THOUSANDS of dollars.  I am building one for myself in the next few days.  It it works out, and there is interest, I will draw up plans and post them.  It should cost me about $100 in hardware store goodies, and require a table saw and a screwdriver for assembly.

If all goes according to plan, I should get 4 6" tall shelves that are 48" x 24".  More than enough for anything I am going to do!