« Last post by tonybluegoat on Today at 05:35:52 AM »
He looks like a rascal!
Share Your Art / Re: bella arework
« Last post by tonybluegoat on Today at 05:32:47 AM »
I'm super digging that.  Very straightforward and clean!  Good job
Share Your Art / Re: Work In Progress - Copper Bucket Still Life
« Last post by tonybluegoat on Today at 05:31:26 AM »
Hey Tony,

I saw this piece on the Members Minute.  Congrats!  It is pretty amazing for a first painting without a tutorial.

Izzy

Whoa!  I guess I need to go see the feedback on it.  Thanks!
Share Your Art / Acrylic Pears
« Last post by tonybluegoat on Today at 05:22:54 AM »
Original Composition 12x48 inch acrylic on canvas.  The goal was to practice mixing accurate colors instead of overblown colors.  Realism vs hyper-realism.  Using a limited palette of Permanent Aliz. Chrimson, Ultramarine, Cadmium Yellow, Burnt Umber and Titanium White only.
This is the extent of my ability today.  Ready to move on to the next piece.

Feedback is welcomed. I included the final result plus an earlier picture that shows the source.

Tony
Share Your Art / Re: Pastel Parrot
« Last post by izzychase on November 20, 2017, 06:06:29 PM »
Hi Argel,

As always just a beautiful piece.  I love the detail you are able to get with soft pastel.  I like how the feathers have areas of detail, and areas where detail is suggested.  I think this always works better than when you try to render every single feather.

Love it,

Izzy
Share Your Art / Pastel Parrot
« Last post by argel on November 20, 2017, 11:33:01 AM »
Hi everyone,

I had a very busy weekend, I focused on drawing exercises, I learned how to build shadows, it was exciting. But then I missed the pastel, and therefore created a parrot. I hope you like it ;-)
Share Your Work From the Tutorials / Re: Portrait drawing
« Last post by Videowoman on November 20, 2017, 10:30:13 AM »
Hello Izzy,

Thank you for the compliment Izzy. I was focussed to get the face right and negleted the hair. Thanks to your feedback I can see that the hair indeed is flat. I will try to improve that and perhaps take more time to it and follow your steps. Thank you again, I learn a lot here.

Videowoman
Share Your Art / Re: Ballpoint pen kitty
« Last post by izzychase on November 20, 2017, 02:18:01 AM »
Here is the same cat.  No major alterations.  Just added some background to finish the image.
Share Your Work From the Tutorials / Re: Portrait drawing
« Last post by izzychase on November 20, 2017, 12:05:35 AM »
Hi Videowoman,

You did very good for a first ever portrait.  They eyes, the nose, the cheeks and all the transitions between them are good.  Actually, I really like all the features and transitions in the face.  The big toothy smile, the chin, the ears.  All good.  The hair is good texturally, but a little flat in form.

Hair is probably the most frustrating thing in portrait art if you ask me.  I have found that I try to pick out shapes created by the highlight and core shadows.  I start with the overall shape, what I call "the helmet".  I add the highlight and core shadow of the helmet, and then i start breaking it into smaller shapes with their own highlight and shadow (the individual locks or groupings of hair).  Texture is the last consideration I make with the hair.  Three steps, Helmet, Lock, Texture.  That is my simplification process.  It works pretty good for me.

I apply the same hair philosophy to clothing as well.  Overall shape, then the shape of the folds, then the texture.

Keep up with the portraits and you will be amazed how fast you get good at them.  The first one already looks great!

Izzy
Share Your Art / Re: bella arework
« Last post by Videowoman on November 19, 2017, 07:05:57 PM »
Hello Bella,

I really love your work. The metal look and the colors are gorgeous.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10