TheVirtualInstructor.com Forum

Lisa

melhenline

• +4/-0
    • View Profile
Lisa
« on: September 20, 2017, 09:59:38 AM »
This is my newest drawing I really worked on no hard lines and making it more real looking, I think I'm getting a little better but still have a lot more to learn.

Daniel Y

• +4/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Lisa
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2017, 12:08:58 PM »
I really Really do not like writing responses from a screen that I cannot view the work. So if my comments do not seem to apply all that well that is probably an issue of how I remember your drawing looking than anything else. Very nice portrait. Much better with the transition and just letting values end where they turn out of sight etc. no outline, very good. Now I personally am working form highly realistic more toward what you show here. the reason is I can set down in a few hours and do something like this. where a highly realistic drawing can take weeks. So no matter what, never loose sight of making it look the way you like it. You have a lovely range of tones from bright highlights to deep dark areas such as just at the side of the face under the ear. Usually a place that is always dark. You transitioned very well to this darkest of dark areas. As a rule I consider three areas of any portrait to be the darkest areas. 1. the pupils, I have been instructed to avoid putting highlights directly on the pupils. Take that one or leave it as you wish. But moving the highlight around may lead to you discovering some other way to make eyes sparkle. 2. deepest areas of nostrils. and 3 the very corners of the mouth. right where the upper and lower lip meet. regardless of an open or closed mouth. Other deep areas of little light need to be consistent with the tones set by these three areas. ON the issue of the mouth. Teeth have shading. they really do it is just very light. the shading between the teeth is very light. but the surface of a tooth has contour. Now that is heading toward hyper realism. so again take it or leave it. the teeth are also set in the mouth in a very extreme curve. shading will indicate that. The idea is they curve back and into darkness. Take care to try and give separation between teeth gums if you can and lips. This is another way to develop depth and dimension to your drawing. Shadows being cast will help indicate depth of the lip protruding forward from the teeth. that sort of thing. A very slight touch will go a long way in helping the mind see a full form in the lip a curve and that it comes forward from the plane of the teeth. Just a thing or two to think about and play around with if you wish to see it for yourself.  In all you have a lovely portrait here than anyone should be proud to say they produced.

Humburger

• +10/-0
  • Nature is God's art. -- Dante
    • View Profile
    • Virginia C. McCoy Fine Art
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2017, 03:55:22 PM »
melhenline:  The picture is lovely and, yes, you have improved in your lines.

Daniel:  You can open up the same page in another window and have them both up at the same time.  You can't do another tab, but a whole other window.  If you are using windows...

melhenline

• +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2017, 10:39:45 AM »
 Thank you both for the awesome comments I am sure the time I spend on my work is everything but in the past when I worked on something for too long it would get too dark and I would erase layers of the paper off at times. again never taken a class so I had no one to instruct what I was and should or could do. I watched a how to draw eyes online and his eyes looked so real and amazing and talked how the white highlights help's to make it look more real. Also in the real photo, I was drawing her eyes have a very white spot in them, (I added the photo I drew) I do appreciate the helpful teaching.
So many different ways people are shown I have learned something from them all I like that the best because I found some only use the one way of something and in a way stay stuck to the one form of things. Everyone has something you can learn from it is just if you have an open mind to listen.
I'm listening  ;D ty
And have to add I hate drawing teeth they always end up having a Jackass smile lol

Daniel Y

• +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2017, 09:56:53 PM »
One of the thigns that happens the moment you make a drawing. even from a photo. IS that people start looking very carefuy at the drawing to see if it looks good, real convincing etc. Now you can make mistakes with the eyes and other features in a photo. Such as red eyes. take the photo from an unflattering angle etc. But people do not think That does not look real. they may think it looks strange or that it looks bad. but seldom will then even consider does it look real. Not so about your drawing. even if it is a photo realistic exact replication. You may get reactions from a highlight in the center of her pupil like " you gave her lazer eyes". Highlight are necessary to create realistic eyes. that is because real eyes do have highlights. They have mirror like highlights. For a drawing you may need to take a bit more care in where you put them.  Your work is being evaluated on a different set of rules. So no argument about what you have been told. More of a issue of how that knowledge is applied. It is also common for highlights to be in the center of the pupil, only when a photo was taken using flash mounted on a camera. Not at all a typical natural condition. seldom will a person be looking directly into a light source. much less a strong light source. In fact most complain about the discomfort from having a photo taken with such flash. so in short it is not normal for the highlight to be in the center of the pupil. OF course you can remedy this as well by using only reference photos taken by professional photographers because they would not take a photo that puts the light in the middle of their eyes either. A the very least shift the highlight just to one side or the other of the pupil.

izzychase

• +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2017, 07:55:44 AM »
Hey,

I am going to agree with Daniel about the catch light in the eye.  It is never going to look right in the pupil.  Just a guess, but was your reference a cell phone pic?  The flash is so close to the lens on a cell phone you could easily end up with a reference photo like this where the catch light is right in the middle.

The portrait is wonderful.  I like the range of value, the rendering, the proportion, it is all good.  I guess if I had a piece of advice it would be not to get too caught up in making a perfect reproduction of your reference.  It is ok or even encouraged to make minor changes to the light source and shadow if it makes for a better result.

Great piece,

Izzy

Daniel Y

• +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2017, 12:39:20 PM »
This in regard to Izzy's comment about avoiding the exact photo reproduction. I agree with some very specific reasons. If you look at some of the drawings I have posted you will see I have ventured pretty far down that trail. Now it is wonderful to be able to post such work and I am very proud of it. But even having done it is in no way the work I want to do exclusively. In fact I am now in the process of back tracking into much simpler easier and more relaxing forms of portraiture. Pretty much I am saying. I don't necessarily want to do drawings that well. And there is a reason. one they take a very long time. Second they have an effect of introducing extreme stress into a project. Finally they restrict creative license such as being able to change the lighting and shadows. The worst for me is as a portrait nears completion. the tension and anxiety about being able to complete it gets so bad it is very difficult to continue working on it. Simply an effect I do not want to experience with every drawing I do. Certainly I will continue to do very realistic drawings. But I want to be able to do 1 hour quick but realistic portraits of people as well. And save the photo realism to subjects I am just dying to draw that way.