TheVirtualInstructor.com Forum

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Share Your Art / Re: Happy horse
« Last post by Humburger on Today at 07:31:21 PM »
What a very beautiful picture!  Good job!  I do have some suggestions for you, though.  I think one of the secrets of drawing is to push the contrasts.  I know it is said over and over, but it is true.  When you have really dark darks and really light lights it makes such a difference.  The horse's eye is an example of that.  The drawing is beautiful, but that eye is wonderful beyond everything else.  If I am not making myself clear (and I am probably not...), try these videos on the virtual instructor site:

Module 5 in the Secrets to Drawing course
http://thevirtualinstructor.com/members/the-secrets-to-drawing-value/

Modules 5 and 6 in the Pencil Drawing -- The Guide to Graphite course
http://thevirtualinstructor.com/members/the-guide-to-graphite-light-and-shadow-part-1/
http://thevirtualinstructor.com/members/the-guide-to-graphite-light-and-shadow-part-2/

How to Make a Value Finder
http://thevirtualinstructor.com/make-a-value-finder.html

I am assuming that you are a member. 

Keep up the good work!  :-)
Share Your Art / Re: rose
« Last post by Videowoman on Today at 07:04:59 PM »
Very beautiful and so delicate! I love this one.
Share Your Art / Re: Oil Pastel Escalantes
« Last post by Videowoman on Today at 02:12:25 PM »
I like the soft earth colors you have used.
Share Your Art / Re: Pastel Landscape
« Last post by Videowoman on Today at 02:10:29 PM »
I think you are too hard on yourself. I find your paintings breathtaking already. I love the composition and the colors. Your painting invites you to walk toward the see and enjoy the stormy clouds.
Share Your Art / Re: Pastel Landscape
« Last post by Videowoman on Today at 02:06:57 PM »
Beautiful snow and air! I love it. I find it not a cold but warm painting. Well done.
Share Your Art / Re: Siblings
« Last post by Videowoman on Today at 02:02:59 PM »
Very lovely, cheerful portrait and so soft. How did you get that soft touch? Really love that.
Share Your Art / Re: Hummingbird in Flight
« Last post by Videowoman on Today at 01:58:05 PM »
Gorgeous! And those details. I love your hummingbird. Really beautiful.
Share Your Art / Happy horse
« Last post by Videowoman on Today at 12:50:10 PM »
On my daily walk we pass many different farms. When walking by I can smell wich kind of animals live in that particular farm.

At one of the farms they have a dog called Mayla. Mayla is a young happy dog and always greets us and wants to play with us. His owner breed horses.

Now and then we have a little chat with him. We talk about his farm and the horses. I do not know much about horses so I'm leraning from the farmer. I do like horses when they are not that big (because I'm not that tall). However when they look healthy and happy I love them also.

I love them most as they are free, outside in the wildernes. I believe that animals should not be kept in captivity. They have the right to be free.

When a horse is outside or stands in his stable you can tell if the horse is healthy and happy. The horse I have drawn today is a very healthy and happy horse. You can see it on his pelt and in his eyes.

His owner takes good care of him so I draw him with all my love.

I have used Strathmore bristol paper and Derwent graphite HB and charcol medium.
I must say it was a challenge to draw on smooth paper but I'm happy with the result.
Share Your Art / Re: Hummingbird in Flight
« Last post by Alan Green on December 09, 2017, 08:17:52 PM »
Spectacular.

Share Your Art / Re: Siblings
« Last post by Alan Green on December 09, 2017, 08:17:23 PM »
Good portraits.

Everyone else who's a bit nervous about portraiture - jump in. I learned loads from the Andrew Loomis book "Drawing the head and hands", and from Betty Edwards' book "Drawing on the right side of the brain".

There are shedloads of free resources online too - "Draw This" have a two hour figure-drawing video which they put out once a week. One camera allows you do draw figures, another is close-up on the model's face. "Croquis Caf
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10