TheVirtualInstructor.com Forum

2 point perspective

Tlathrop06

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
2 point perspective
« on: September 10, 2017, 08:49:26 PM »
Using this course as an art class for my 6th grader who is homeschooled.  Would love positive feedback and helpful critique to aid in her growth and assist with my "grading"

Alan Green

• +23/-2
    • View Profile
    • Rollmop Music
Re: 2 point perspective
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2017, 05:24:54 AM »
It's accurate enough, and serves well to demonstrate an understanding of 2-point perspective, but are you asking us to mark your Student's homework? Surely that's down to you as a tutor?

Tlathrop06

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2017, 12:28:25 PM »
No, just looking for input to aid me as I grade her.  :) I also think it's good for her to get an outsiders unbiased view of her work.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 12:31:48 PM by Tlathrop06 »

Humburger

• +8/-0
  • Nature is God's art. -- Dante
    • View Profile
    • Virginia C. McCoy Fine Art
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2017, 03:16:46 AM »
Well, it is very well done.  I give her an A!  :)  Next, she can try a maze.  Seriously, it is good.  But, of course, she can do nothing but get better with practice.  It is very wise to seek counsel.  Keep up the good work, both of you.

Tlathrop06

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2017, 03:20:43 AM »
Thanks!

Daniel Y

• +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2017, 12:50:43 PM »
From a parent that home school all three of my children all the way though high school and beyond. Her grade would be a hug and I love your drawing.  As for progress. if you cannot see any. maybe she does not need any. or you need a different instructor. In the interest of you doing research in order to instruct. and specifically in regard to 2 point perspective adding my personal opinion of what art instruction even is meant to teach. Okay. She is in 6th grade. this indicates her ability with perspective. perspective is a pretty basic like can you write the letters of the alphabet type skill. I think she gets it. in a drawing things need to look like they travel off in the distance. great, lovely job move on. And if she didn't get it or future efforts require some refinement of the concept. then revisit it. Now maybe show her how perspective applies to a ball. or a forest. or whatever else she works on. just keep returning to the issue of perspective and point out how it applies to everything she creates. it is one of the biggest failing so any artist or attempt at art. Trees get smaller as they get further away. and they do so in a graduated manner. Also perspective. show her one point and three point as well as atmospheric perspective. And then observe and guide her in the application of all of them as required. How does perspective play into the entire effort of creating a drawing. that is what is to be learned here. and she will not learn that with a ruler, horizon line and two points. She could in fact begin to include atmospheric perspective in these sort of attempts. that is the tone of the objects gets lighter with distant. less sharp they reduce in detail. incomplete lines etc. Not only do the buildings get smaller. but the lines that outline them could get thinner. just some ideas of how to expand overall and into a more complete teaching of perspective.

izzychase

• +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2017, 08:02:09 AM »
Hi,

I know this one is getting a bit old now, but I love education, and wanted to chime in.

If I were teaching a young artist, I would try to teach self evaluation.  Hearing the thoughts and opinions of more experienced artist is a fantastic tool for improvement, but is not always available, or as honest as it should be.

Make a list of all the elements in your piece you can think of (in this piece, trees, mountains, buildings, windows, etc...) and ask what do I like/not like about them.  If I did this piece, I would say I like the buildings the roads, but I wish I was better at trees and the sky.  Follow up question: Why don't I like my trees? Answer: They are all the same shape and shading.  Solution: I could add some variety, maybe different types of trees, and add cross contour lines.

Of course it is important to focus on the likes, possibly more than the dislikes, or your young artist ends up like most of us here constantly thinking their work is worse than it is.  You should have questions like "I like the buildings.  Why: The doors look more detailed because of the way they are recessed, and the windows have lines that feel like reflections."  An important question..  What do you feel you did the best on in the piece: I think I did the best on the value and shading of the buildings"

My last thought, is that the self evaluation should be graded, not the work of art.  This would imply that there is good and bad art.  Equal points should be given for critical and complimentary thoughts.

Hope this ramble is somehow helpful!  lol

Izzy

Daniel Y

• +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2017, 03:57:39 PM »
"Focus on the likes". I really, really like that. And not just because it sounds good an positive. Why would you want to focus on the likes? because that is what needs to be practiced and developed. Nobody is going to take what they do not like and try and do it again. so let them pass. Focus on the likes. why they are liked? and how to add more of that quality in other things. There is a ton of knowledge needed to do art work. but that knowledge is applied to create likes. And not the "that looks like". But the "I like how that looks".