TheVirtualInstructor.com Forum

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Share Your Art / Re: Critiue
« Last post by izzychase on Today at 05:08:53 PM »
Hi LydeHawk,

I love pet art!  I think you did a great job.  You captured the dogs pose and expression very well, or at least I believe that is a pose and expression I would see on a dog.

I believe Sumana is correct.  I feel like I want to see a little fur detail in the white, and Alan as well.  Some of the outlines of the black spots are a little strong.  If you look at the black spot directly under his left eye (near eye)...  That spot I think is perfect!  There is no defined outline.  The black fur flows into the white and visa versa.  It looks great.

All in all, I really like it.  Dogs are so fun to draw.

Good Job!

Izzy
Share Your Art / Re: My First Pastel
« Last post by izzychase on Today at 04:45:30 PM »
I would be willing to guess that both oil and dry pastel would have a tendency to mix with the graphite.  Of course, the only way to know for sure is to try it.  The pastel over print method works pretty good.  I have seen a few youtube videos where people use it.  Most home printers will feed a piece of drawing paper if you cut them down to 8.5 x 11 with an exacto knife or something, so you could print your own just to try it.

Izzy
« Last post by Humburger on Today at 12:55:44 PM »
Thanks, Izzy.  The oil pastels really do look like a painting.  You did a good job with the light on the right side.  And the eyes look good, too.  It looks like you can get some detail with oil pastels.  I am still working on the under drawing of my next portrait, maybe I will use oil pastels on it.  I don't know...  My plan was to use the NuPastels and pencils.  We'll see when I am done with the drawing.  By the way, I was wondering if anyone knows if you can use pastels on top of a completed graphite drawing.  Or, I was thinking of getting a print made of one of my graphite portraits and then coloring it.  Actually, that sounds more like it.  I can have the printer use pastel paper or some other rough type of paper.  Oh!  I will have to try that!  LOL!  I love coming up with ideas on the fly...!
« Last post by izzychase on Today at 07:49:43 AM »
You can get pretty good detail out of oil pastel.  I highly recommend it as an alternative to soft pastel.  This is a work in progress at the moment, but I think it shows you can get good detail with oil pastel.  Also the portrait of my little blond niece Kylee was oil pastel.  link here:   http://thevirtualinstructor.com/forum/index.php?topic=1313.0

While they are both called pastel, I think you work with the two mediums somewhat different.  With soft pastel you do allot more blending by hand or stump.  Oil pastel you need to blend more like color pencil.  IE using a solvent, or by just working the colors into eachother on paper.  For this young man, I started with vandyke brown, then rose madder on top of that, and then pale orange to work the three colors together.
« Last post by Humburger on September 22, 2017, 11:17:34 PM »
On another note, when I mentioned charcoal above, I meant white charcoal pencils.  The graphite and white charcoal are dusty, but I can handle that much dust.  Regular charcoal is a no-no for me.  I can't stand the dust, total lack of control over the marks, and mess on my hands and face and anything else in my vicinity when I am handling it.  I never cease to be amazed at the beautiful works of art that some people make with charcoal.  I can't do it.  Or maybe I should say, I won't do it.  It is too dusty for me.  LOL!
« Last post by Humburger on September 22, 2017, 11:13:23 PM »
Thanks, Izzy and Daniel.  I must confess, however, that if pastels are normally so dusty, I may not use them for much longer.  I have some harder pastels (NuPastels, or something like that) that I am going to try.  I forgot to mention that I used pastel pencils on Dad's portrait, too.  They were not quite as dusty, but still too dusty for me.  I have oil pastels, but I don't think you can get details with them.  I will try and see, though, one of these days, soon.  Thanks, again.  :)
Suggest and Share / Re: Lisa
« Last post by Daniel Y on September 22, 2017, 12:39:20 PM »
This in regard to Izzy's comment about avoiding the exact photo reproduction. I agree with some very specific reasons. If you look at some of the drawings I have posted you will see I have ventured pretty far down that trail. Now it is wonderful to be able to post such work and I am very proud of it. But even having done it is in no way the work I want to do exclusively. In fact I am now in the process of back tracking into much simpler easier and more relaxing forms of portraiture. Pretty much I am saying. I don't necessarily want to do drawings that well. And there is a reason. one they take a very long time. Second they have an effect of introducing extreme stress into a project. Finally they restrict creative license such as being able to change the lighting and shadows. The worst for me is as a portrait nears completion. the tension and anxiety about being able to complete it gets so bad it is very difficult to continue working on it. Simply an effect I do not want to experience with every drawing I do. Certainly I will continue to do very realistic drawings. But I want to be able to do 1 hour quick but realistic portraits of people as well. And save the photo realism to subjects I am just dying to draw that way.
« Last post by Daniel Y on September 22, 2017, 12:24:42 PM »
Pastels are that way, Same comments about charcoal. Graphite will do the same to some degree when you start getting very dark areas. Part of the solution is developing a strategy as to how you progress with the portrait. Well done and very good that your father is pleased.
Suggest and Share / Re: Lisa
« Last post by izzychase on September 22, 2017, 07:55:44 AM »
Hey,

I am going to agree with Daniel about the catch light in the eye.  It is never going to look right in the pupil.  Just a guess, but was your reference a cell phone pic?  The flash is so close to the lens on a cell phone you could easily end up with a reference photo like this where the catch light is right in the middle.

The portrait is wonderful.  I like the range of value, the rendering, the proportion, it is all good.  I guess if I had a piece of advice it would be not to get too caught up in making a perfect reproduction of your reference.  It is ok or even encouraged to make minor changes to the light source and shadow if it makes for a better result.

Great piece,

Izzy
« Last post by izzychase on September 22, 2017, 07:36:14 AM »
Hey Humburger,

I think your portrait came out great.  Especially given it was the first attempt with a new medium.  I think pastels are just messy like that.  It is a stick of pure pigment.  You have to be careful not to touch anything you don't want colored...lol  Just have to keep your sticks and hands clean to avoid smears and color contamination.  If anything more expensive sticks would be more of a mess because they are soooooooo much softer and pure of pigment.  I have some Senellier pastels that just end up all over the place, but they go down on paper like pure magic.

Izzy
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10