TheVirtualInstructor.com Forum

Which paper should I use?

Thom34

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
Which paper should I use?
« on: July 29, 2012, 01:54:15 AM »
I am getting ready to start on a pencil portrait and I want the pencil shading to be really smooth.  What paper would anyone suggest I use for this?  The standard drawing paper that I usually use has a texture and I want the drawing to have a smoother appearance?    :o

• Matt
  • +14/-1
  • I draw.
    • View Profile
    • TheVirtualInstructor.com
Re: Which paper should I use?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2012, 02:43:25 AM »
Hey Thom,

I would try using bristol paper or illustration board.  Bristol paper will probably be your best bet.  It has a very smooth surface texture or tooth and will allow you to apply the graphite in the manner that you're after.  Good luck with the drawing.  Maybe you can post it when you are finished.

ldudley

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2012, 03:43:32 AM »
Newsprint paper works will and is not as expensive as the others.

Drewbie

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2014, 06:29:18 AM »
I've used the Strathmore Bristol smooth 300 and the surface seems somewhat irregular.  Is there some other brand or type that is better?

TetragMib

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2015, 11:52:28 PM »
I've used the Strathmore Bristol smooth 300 and the surface seems somewhat irregular.  Is there some other brand or type that is better?

All of the above is true. Let's discuss this question.

Monicakat

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2015, 10:13:07 PM »

Yeah was not impressed .

TetragMib

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2015, 09:43:46 AM »

Of Course. It happens. Let's discuss this question.

TetragMib

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2015, 04:10:33 PM »

great idea

TetragMib

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2015, 05:40:27 PM »

Thank you for your assistance in this matter , maybe I too can you do something to help ?

Daniel Y

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2017, 04:25:09 PM »
Just a note I noticed form this thread as well as the tutorial on smooth shading with graphite. Bristol refers to the material the paper is made from and is no indication of it's texture. In this case Bristol indicates it is made from cotton rag which contains no acids. The texture of Bristol paper is indicated by it being labeled Vellum or Smooth. Vellum having more tooth than smooth. So the proper names for the papers being recommended would be Bristol vellum or Bristol smooth. Since in either case of this thread or the video actual paper texture is not even mentioned. I will add this.
I draw portraits. Portraits of faces only. For drawings larger than life size I use Bristol Vellum. For life size or slightly smaller I use Bristol smooth. For palm size portraits and slightly larger I use acid free marker paper which has a slick smooth texture.

P55

• +13/-0
  • Linda
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2017, 03:04:43 PM »
Might I suggest one of Matts lessons? It is available on this site and on UTube. It is called "How to Draw a Realistic Eye- Graphite Pencil Tutorial" by the Virtual Instructor.  This lesson is 14 minutes long and uses Bristol paper. (I like smooth Bristol.) Happy Drawing!

Daniel Y

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2017, 04:53:19 AM »
Strathmore 300 series Bristol Vellum for life size or larger portraits. 500 series is the professional grade of Strathmore papers.  For smaller than life size to larger than palm size Bristol smooth. for palm size and smaller I use marker paper.