TheVirtualInstructor.com Forum

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Share Your Art / Re: Sunflowers
« Last post by Humburger on Today at 09:17:14 AM »
No, I don't have Geneva Paints.  I don't know that I would ever be able to afford those.  LOL!  I have M. Graham.  I did, however, use Marks recipe for his slow-dry medium, which was a mistake.  I don't need a slow-dry medium.  At least for what I have done, so far.  I have paintings from weeks ago that are still wet.  LOL!  At this rate, I will not have anywhere to store my wet paintings.  So, I will be going to just walnut oil as my medium.  That sunflower picture, above is still pretty wet and the paint is pretty thin on it.  The painting I just finished, the impasto winter scene, is very, very thick in place.  I didn't use any medium on the thick places, so I hope it will dry quicker.  LOL!

You do very well, considering that you are a rank beginner.  It must be very encouraging.  Keep up the good work.  And keep taking Matt's courses.  They helped me tremendously.  I have been an artist all my life, but never really got anywhere with it until I took these courses.  Maybe it was my time, but these courses taught me things I had never heard of before and I have taken art classes and lessons many times.
I have to give credit for the realism of my drawings to the single one person responsible for it. That would be Darell Tank. Creator and instructor of the 5 Pencil Method of drawing.

Thanks for sharing that.  I added it to my list of classes.  Right now I'm in a college class, doing Craftsy classes and doing things here.  So I may not get to it until May, but it will constantly remind me because I put it in the middle of my bookmarks bar.  I have a 12" bust coming in this week that I can use as a "live model" for drawing and I have a few high resolution pictures with proper lighting that will be available for practice. I can't wait to try the 5 pencil method out.

Tony
That's really impressive.  It has an Chinese feel with the vertical format.  Obviously great depth and range of value.  Lots of fine detail work that I find difficult with charcoal.  The water is very nice because so much information is conveyed with very few strokes.  It's a really fine piece that shows good understanding of the medium.

Tony
Share Your Work From the Tutorials / Re: Apple
« Last post by tonybluegoat on Today at 05:15:47 AM »
Looks good.  The shadow is spot on.  Good color.  Nice realism.

Tony
I already posted this in the Post your work section, but it really belongs here.  Sorry.  New to the forum, new to painting.

Thanks
Tony
Share Your Art / Re: Sunflowers
« Last post by tonybluegoat on Today at 04:51:51 AM »
I Literally (and I mean that literally) just started painting.  I picked up a paint brush for the first time on Sept. 19th, so less than 4 weeks ago.  In that time I've done 4 paintings.  Two for a college Painting I class that I'm in and two on my own.  Even though I just started painting, I'm very serious about it.  I actually feel bad that I didn't paint something today, I should have.  But, I'll start a new project tomorrow.  A difficult one... It's a still life.  It think there's enough flexibility in it that even if I get it off a little it will still come out OK.  It'll be an acrylic.  I only have capacity for acrylic and watercolors at this point.

Do you use Geneva paints?  Mark really pushes a limited palette.

Tony
Thanks for the comments.  It's just fun to post work.  And yes, my fall garden is next to my studio so I put the watercolor in there to take the pic.  TVI is a great site.  I need to spend more time working on art.  This site helps get me moving.

Tony
Share Your Art / Re: Coonskin Cap
« Last post by Sumana Huong on October 16, 2017, 06:40:30 AM »
I have to give credit to Sumana!  I saw her call you "Hum" first. :)

hi Hum , that is a very lovely name.
and Izzy, LOL... the credit is not to me. I saw someone else here call her 'Hum" before.
« Last post by izzychase on October 16, 2017, 12:30:45 AM »
I have to give credit to Sumana!  I saw her call you "Hum" first. :)
« Last post by Humburger on October 15, 2017, 08:55:26 PM »
Izzy, about "Hum".  That's funny that you say it that way.  Humburger is a nickname that appeared when I was 12 years old.  My brothers have been calling me that since then and none of us can remember how or why it came about.  One of my brothers calls me Hum and the other calls me both Hum and Humburger (sometimes Burger).  (The other brother rarely used it at all...)  It is hilarious! 
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10