TheVirtualInstructor.com Forum

Introduction and question

kellsinart

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
Introduction and question
« on: October 19, 2017, 01:12:26 AM »
Hi,
I've been a member of virtual instructor for almost a week and just joined the forum. Now my question. I'm doing a portrait of Dorothy Turin as Anne Boleyn from the first Henry VIII series in the 1970's. She is looking a little up (as into someone's face as opposed to straight on) I'm having a problem drawing the iris to get the right position of the eye. Can anyone help? And would there be a better forum section  to ask this in? TIA
Gaynor

Humburger

• +8/-0
  • Nature is God's art. -- Dante
    • View Profile
    • Virginia C. McCoy Fine Art
Re: Introduction and question
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2017, 01:30:16 AM »
Greetings, Gaynor.  Welcome to the forum.  Regarding irises, my experience is that, if I don't hit it the first time, I generally wear out my eraser until I get it right.  Don't think there is something wrong with copious use of an eraser.  It is just another tool.  You should, however, be working very lightly until you have things where you want them, then start intensifying the values.  I hope my limited experience and knowledge help you.  Please share your work.  😃

izzychase

• +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2017, 07:35:19 AM »
Hey Kellsinart,

I am just guessing, but are you trying to draw the iris completely round?  The further away from center the eye turns, the more elliptical the iris appears to the viewer.  If the viewer is at the subjects eye level, and the subject is looking up, the iris will appear a little elliptical.

NOW...  If the viewer is looking into the subject's eyes, and the subject is looking up at us (the viewer), then the iris will be round.  It is dependent on the viewers point of view.

DanielY would probably be able to offer a better explanation.  I am hoping he chimes in.

Hope this helps.

Izzy

kellsinart

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2017, 01:17:44 PM »
Hey Kellsinart,

I am just guessing, but are you trying to draw the iris completely round?  The further away from center the eye turns, the more elliptical the iris appears to the viewer.  If the viewer is at the subjects eye level, and the subject is looking up, the iris will appear a little elliptical.

NOW...  If the viewer is looking into the subject's eyes, and the subject is looking up at us (the viewer), then the iris will be round.  It is dependent on the viewers point of view.

Hope this helps.

Izzy
Thanks to you both,
Yes that's exactly the information I needed Izzy, I figured it was something to do with the placement of the iris but couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong☺And luckily I have several big, thick erasers! 😏
Gaynor