TheVirtualInstructor.com Forum

Layout technique

Daniel Y

• +4/-0
    • View Profile
Layout technique
« on: October 14, 2017, 02:22:45 PM »
So my main method of drawing is primarily influenced by the 5PM method. in it Darrel Tank teaches layout of a drawing By what he calls Straight edge and divider. Which is actually simply triangulation. HIs use of a divider is at least a partial use of what would otherwise be a freestyle layout out method. Anyway I feel his way of trying to hold a reference lined up to that drawing paper while holding a ruler along reference points ad then trying to find a free hand to actually mark a line is a bit clumsy. Leaning on my past drafting experience I thought to myself. Don't they make tools to transfer angles? since that is really about all it is. transferring angles from a known point? So I want looking around and found one I thought would work. the tru angle, angle transfer tool. Now up to that point I only thought I had a good idea. Now I don't know if many of you have ever "Thought" you had a good idea. but sometimes those turn out to be a little week in the "Good" department. this one though I am pretty happy with.  So I got one went about starting the layout of a drawing with it and it pretty much works just as I expected.  Basically it is two reference points connected by a reference line placed at the top of the reference and identical point and line placed at the top of the drawing to increase or decrease scale simply increase or decrees the distance between reference points on the drawing.  The tru Angle tool is then aligned with the top edge of the reference aligning the angle with one reference point and any point you wish on the reference. corner of an eye for example. Lock the tool to that angle and transfer it to your drawing. To triangulate you would set the angle tool to your chosen location from the opposite reference point. transfer this line to your drawing as well and where the two line cross is the location of the corner of your eye. The image with the tool is a poto that I placed lines on in photo shop to demonstrate how I thought it would work the other two images are my actual test layout attempt to confirm that it actually works. I then put this project aside to work on my Angel drawing.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 02:26:01 PM by Daniel Y »

Alan Green

• +23/-2
    • View Profile
    • Rollmop Music
Re: Layout technique
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2017, 07:38:48 PM »
There's no reason why the triangulation concept shouldn't work; it's more or less how you find "anything". It's nice to know there's a tool for transferring the angles though :-)