• +0/-0
  • Make time to find the things that you love
    • View Profile
Matt's dog form the tutorial
« on: July 30, 2017, 03:36:43 PM »
Hi,

All critique is welcome.

I'm not happy with the fur on his body.
I think I've started off too heavy and dark.

Humburger

• +10/-0
  • Nature is God's art. -- Dante
    • View Profile
    • Virginia C. McCoy Fine Art
Re: Matt's dog form the tutorial
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2017, 05:20:54 AM »
That is wonderful!  I'm glad you finished it.  :-)  Do more!  I can't help much with the colored pencils, because I have not learned to use them, yet.  But, it certainly looks good to me.

Sumana Huong

• +5/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2017, 08:46:01 AM »
it looks so real
if you had not told it were a drawing, I would thought it was a photo taken by camera
you can be proud with such wonderful result.

CockerSpaniel

• +0/-0
  • Make time to find the things that you love
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2017, 09:29:29 AM »
Thank you Sumana and Humburger for you're support and compliments.

Mrs Doodler

• +7/-0
  • student artist studying Matt's video courses :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2017, 11:07:26 AM »
 :) its brilliant, the face is fantastic !! I see what you mean about the body fur but fur isnt the easiest of things to do, you will get there ☺

fgpenna

• +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2017, 12:05:10 PM »
Very nice job on the head.  I know what you mean on the body.  I too fight being to heavy handed when drawing.

Dotsoflowers

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
    • meet girls in chat rooms
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2017, 03:49:41 AM »
The shapes are good. The shading is a bit dark and inconsistent in certain spots, but that's about all I have for you! Great work

izzychase

• +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2017, 08:06:28 AM »
I think you did a great job on the head/face.  I am certainly no expert, but I have run into this issue myself, and describing it may help. 

The face is tight and detailed, looks amazing.  Reason: you are concentrating on small areas of detail.  When you aim small, you miss small. 

The body starts to look a little blocky and less coherent.  It is a large area of coverage, and I know I get bored and things fall apart on me in large areas where there is no (or less) subject matter.  Reason: It SEEMS less important to me.  There are no facial details to obsess over, less light and shadow to play with maybe, just not as much fun.  I know I start to try and work larger and faster just to get through it, and I forget to aim small.  I miss all the detail that needs to be in a seemingly void area of the piece.

Here is how I have been curing myself of this.  I completely sacrifice a piece to the grid method.  Instead of putting light lines that are easily erased, I put big old bold lines I can't get rid of.  It kinda forces me to think of the whole piece in 1" chunks because I can't get rid of the grid.  Not only are the contour lines broken into 1" blocks, but the value, contrast, everything.  When you are done, the piece will look fantastic except for the dark grid...lol   but hey, Practice pieces right?

I hope something in that ramble is helpful.

Izzy

Maureen2855

• +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2017, 08:04:56 AM »
The eyes are so realistic> Fantastic